cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Forwarding to Gmail

thesterlands

Email Forwarding to Gmail

I have been trying for a week now with Technical support to set-up a redirect on my hosted domain (with plusnet) to my gmail account with no success.
Basically this is what I want to do:
I have moved my domain name to plusnet servers and I was told that it is possible to redirect my email to
name@mydomain.net to name@gmail.com
I am not looking to use a plus.net mail account.
If any one send me to name@mydomain.net then it goes to my plus.net email account.
If any friend who has a gmail account send me an email to name@mydomain.net it arrives in my gmail account.
Can anyone help?

I am not expert on dns settings and I had no problem with receiving email when my domain name was hosted with the company where I registered it.
If this is not possible, just be honest, although I know it is possible as it was the case before.
It seems that my questions are not being dealt with the right people. I have been told it is working, no emails, then I ask about the dns settings, then I am told it is not set up correctly. During this time no email.
Please can someone resolve my issue and call me to confirm or discuss either way a response will be apprecaited.
9 REPLIES 9
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Email Forwarding to Gmail

Under Domain Names, is your domain name shown as 'Registered & Hosted' ? Under the configure options, are you collecting mail using POP3 ?
If so then it should be relatively straight forward.
Lets say you have a Mailbox called 'name'. Any emails sent to name@mydomain.net and name@username.plus.com will be sent to this one mailbox. All you have to do is set up a redirect for this mailbox to name@gmail.com.  (Email Settings > Manage My Mail > Redirects > Add New Redirect).
I don't think it is possible to retain the email in your Plusnet Mailbox when using a redirect.
Given you have been speaking to Technical Support for a week I assume that the above has already been tried. But then you never know.  Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I have just gone in to my companies webmail (they are not on Plusnet) and sent an email to an email address for a domain I have hosted on Plusnet to a mailbox name that is redirected to my Google mail account. It arrived in seconds so it can definitely be done.
I trust you have created a redirect(s) for the mailbox name you want to forward to gmail and not been trying to point the MX records to Google.
The redirect you have created will forward mail for both name@mydomain.net and name@username.plus.com. Have you tried sending a test mail to name@username.plus.com? If that works the problem is with your domain, if it doesn't the problem is with the way you've set the redirect up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thesterlands

My domain is registered and hosted and all the redirects have been setup.  I am set-up to colect mail using POP3 although I do not want to use a plusnet mailbox.
I have set-up redirects for the 2 other accounts, name2 and name 3 that point to other name2@gmail.com and name3@gmail.com and they work OK
It is just the name@mydomain.net that does not work.  It arrives in my plus.net mailbox not my gmail account at name@gmail.com.  Unless it is sent by another gmail user.  Also if I send from my work email(on another domain) to name@mydomain.net  it arrives at name@gmail.com.
On my dns settings are:
Left field Type Pri Right field
                mx          20 mx.last.plus.net.
www cname ccgi.plus.net.
It is really frustrating. 
Any more suggestions?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've received your PM with the headers from succeeding and failing emails thanks.
Firstly, have you opted out of all Plusnet spam protection? (I'm guessing you may have done on the basis that when the email is forwarded to Google mail, they will filter off the spam). I picked this up by looking at your DNS mail records:
C:\Documents and Settings\John>nslookup -type=mx mydomain.net 212.159.6.9
Server:  ptn-cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9
Non-authoritative answer:
mydomain.net        MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx.core.plus.net
mydomain.net        MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx.last.plus.net
mydomain.net        nameserver = ns1.force9.net
mydomain.net        nameserver = ns2.force9.net
mx.core.plus.net        internet address = 212.159.9.1
mx.core.plus.net        internet address = 212.159.8.1
mx.last.plus.net        internet address = 212.159.8.1
mx.last.plus.net        internet address = 212.159.9.1
ns1.force9.net  internet address = 195.166.128.16
ns2.force9.net  internet address = 195.166.128.17

You may want to consider using Spam Filtering on, Edge Protection off, Don't add [-SPAM-] to the subject line, Move to Inbox, Aggressiveness 1, Anti Virus Filtering Off. This would get rid of the absolutely blatant spam - in case Google got shirty with you forwarding them loads of spam.
Looking in the headers I can't see an obvious reason, but I can see a possibility worthy of you investigating further by looking at more examples. If you look at the header where the Plusnet mail server receives the email:
Received: from [IP address] (helo=sending server name)
        by fhw-sunmxcore07.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1LQgeH-0007HO-0R
        for name@mydomain.net; Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:26:01 +0000

you will see that they went through different Plusnet mail servers. I suggest you look to see if there is any pattern to which servers forward the mails correctly and those that don't.
Have you tried deleting the redirect and then creating it again, that has cured problems in the past where the mail servers have got out of sync (I think there's 18 of them).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jelv
Have you tried deleting the redirect and then creating it again, that has cured problems in the past where the mail servers have got out of sync (I think there's 18 of them).

22 Wink
Although that's not strictly the case any more due to this work that's currently underway.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

The mailc's - that's where I got 18 from!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I do exactly this as overseas, away from my home PC, Squirrel mail is useless.
You don't have to do anything with Plusnet setup, you can do it all in Gmail setup.  Go to Settings, Accounts. See Send mail as and  Get mail from other accounts.
You will then collect all your Plusnet email and also be able to send Plusnet email using Gmail.
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have 2 domain hosted on PN. My user@mydomain.co.uk redirects perfectly to user@gmail.com, however my user@mydomain.net does not. There seems to be a problem with redirecting from the .net domains.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hmmm...
somedomain.net again!
[me=jelv]thinks that's something Bob needs to investigate.[/me]