Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Blackholing

Zap
Grafter

Email Blackholing

Can someone tell me why you can't blackhole
myaccountname@myaccountname.plus.com
I do not use it but the spammers do, when I try to blackhole it I get the following error:

The name myaccountname is already in use. Please select another.

Is there something Plusnet can do to redirect this?
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email Blackholing

You can rename the default mailbox and turn the catch-all off which will effectively blackhole the username@username address.
The name myaccountname is already in use

This error is because you are trying to create a redirect when there is already a mailbox of that same name.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Zap
Grafter

I appreciate the help but that is the sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I do not want to lose the catchall, I make extensive use of different names.  Unfortunately the lack of security at Plusnet let to spammers realising that they could spam us to death.

I want to blackhole myaccountname@myaccountname.plus.com
I do not know why this is not possible, I do not use it for anything nor does plusnet as far as I can see.
mcgurka
Grafter

I believe that Plusnet will use the postmaster@ account which will catch to myusername to send you out important service updates and such.
The only way I can imagine to get around this would be to create another mailbox, eg, nomorespam@username.plus.net, blacklist your email, and then try and setup the catchall.
I dont use PN's email system, I have my mail forwarded to my server by SMTP so I havent actually been able to try this, but from memory, you should be ok.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You should be able to rename the default mailbox to anything you like and then set up a redirect to blackhole username@username. Even without turning the catch-all off this should allow you to blackhole username@username.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Black-holing may be a thing of the past - Postini is the tops!
Yesterday I deleted the redirects to black hole for 21 email addresses and instead made them all aliases of a single mailbox. Most of these were compromised addresses from the webmail incident - all of them received significant amounts of spam.
In 24 hours these 21 addresses have received a total of 18 emails - that is a fraction of the number I would have expected to see for those addresses.
All of them correctly labelled as Spam 2 by Postini - and NONE of them recognised as Spam by the DSPAM checking (they do have the DSPAM) headers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)