Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of updating firmware on TG582n - purely out of interest

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Effect of updating firmware on TG582n - purely out of interest

I upgraded the firmware on my router to 10.2.2.B 11 days ago and the most interesting parts for me were the reduction in downstream uncorrected efforts (line is interleaved) and the much improved bit swapping
Previously after a night where the noise margin dropped to about 2.9dB the tones above about 190 would drop out permanently with the reported noise margin during the day settling at about 3.5dB but with the new firmware they either don't drop or they recover as shown in the attached picture and during the day the reported noise margin climbs back to about 6dB from a low of about 4dB
Note that speeds are about the same
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Effect of updating firmware on TG582n - purely out of interest

An update on this
My connection is much more stable but I have noticed an interesting effect
The minimum noise margin is between 7,00 and 8.00 in the evening and creeps up - this is only one night but the others show the same effect (the jump is when the computer is put into sleep mode over night)
Before you ask - there aren't any street lights
Edit Sleep mode clarified
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Jim,
The jump when you put the computer into sleep mode might indicate an issue with the PSU.  However I think I recall on ratbag's thread that a screen caused a similar issue.
From personal experience I have found 10.2.2.B to deliver a substantial improvement in line stability, though an e-side trunk cable repair replacement might have also contributed.  I had the firmware upgrade done in early July and around that time our under river e-side cable was damaged cutting many subscribers in the area off for 10 days.  Post the service rectification, I have not had a single drop of xDSL since.  Currently on 133 days.
SNRM varies by not more than 1dB around the 3dB mark.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

look at the timescale of the graph - sleep mode was from the computer being put in sleep mode at night and woken up again in the morning
Nothing to do with interference
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jim,
Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick... I missed the step change in the x-axis time line.
Quote from: Oldjim
(the jump is when the computer is put into sleep mode over night)

I read exactly as written, rather than more correctly as "when the computer came out of sleep mode some hours later".  The interesting detail is that the SNRM was then 7dB rather than the solid 6dB previously.
Was there a resynch during the wee hours when you were not monitoring?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

nope no resync for over 28 days
The steady 6 was unusual as previous days have all hit about 6.4
Possibly due to the very much colder weather that day
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

28 days - that's a lifetime on your line...  Cheesy

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I agree - that is because we haven't had any power cuts recently  Cool
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just to correct a minor point - it is "interference" - but your interference Jim (like most) is MW propagation.
It won't be specifically due to cold weather, but weather patterns in the upper atmosphere do have a bearing.
MW propagation has been extremely variable over the last few weeks. I've noticed occasions where it been quite high fairly early in the evening and then there has been a gradual decrease - so the SNRM gets quite low and then gradually climbs up.
It can go up and down a lot during the night as well.
There has been minor variations in daytime propagation as well, and actually you can see slight differences between the 2 days on Jim's graph.
Also as there is no graphing between the start of sleep mode and the following A.M , jumping to possible conclusions about why it was 6.4 (not 7) compared to the previous day's 6.0, can be misleading.
Just for the record, as I haven't seen it mentioned of late, the 10.2. Firmware has better noise immunity. (I'll post a link if I find it).
IIRC correctly Jim, when you first asked me about it,  I said if you aren't having any problems ....... you didn't mention about errors, or still having occasional drops if I recall.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I didn't see the errors as a problem neither were occasional freeze (due to memory leak perhaps) as it only happened once every month or so.
That is those months where there wasn't a power cut or BT weren't playing about
I only upgraded to see what would happen and I have been pleasantly surprised. The improvement in bit swapping was really noticeable with the effect that the overnight noise margin has increased by about 1 - 1.5dB with the consequential reduction in CRC errors
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Interesting "theory" from HP about a memory leak, but I really think if that was the case there would be a lot more posts on this forum about problems with 8.4.4.J firmware.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Maybe a hypothesis rather than a theory?  Cheesy
As I noted in the other thread all was fine until some different usage began.
esseff
Grafter

Any way for us Mac users to upgrade?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

only by asking Plusnet to do it for you