cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of turning off Ironport

JIP
Dabbler

Effect of turning off Ironport

Hi I've tried asking this in the Plusnet Usenet group in the hope of getting a definitive answer from Plusnet. I have had some good sounding replies, but nothing from  staff, so I'm hoping to hear from them here.
Basically I am planning to turn Ironport off beause it doesn't seem to offer a means of vetting everything that it decides is SPAM. I used to get occasional false positives with Postini, but at least I could check it. I'm not prepared to give total control over - so I plan to turn it off and use other SPAM filtering processes that aren't so "Big Brother" like. Some of the contributors to my question in the Usenet group have confirmed that some genuine mail has been lost to Ironport. Another contribution has suggested a method that I haven't had chance to try yet, but I still want to pursue my original query.
I know I can turn edge protection off, but it seems that even then Ironport will stop some mail that IT thinks is blatant spam - which to me is not acceptable.
So my original query is - can someone from Plusnet please confirm that with SPAM filtering turned off, ALL mail addressed to me will be passed to me - i.e. that there is no screening still of what Ironport decides is blatant spam.
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Effect of turning off Ironport

There is a specific Ironport Forum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Bob's blog post should answer your question:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/11/30/ironport-anti-spam-migration-faq/
With spam filtering off your mail doesn't go through the Ironport boxes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  Thread locked as question is duplicated in Ironpost section http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73260.0.html