Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echolife HG612 VDSL Modem [BT Openworld Modem]

chrisoldinho
Grafter

Echolife HG612 VDSL Modem [BT Openworld Modem]

Hi everyone,
Does anyone else experience overheating issues with this modem? The case seems to get really hot...
In the past week or so I have continually lost sync and I believe this could be down to overheating. The modem syncs fine to begin but after 20 minutes when the modem is hot, it continually looses sync. Resetting does not fix the issue either, it seems the only way to get it working again is if I disconnect the power and wait for it to cool down, and then fire things back up it again works as normal until it gets hot and the problem comes back.
Any suggestions on what I can try? I have raised a ticket with the support desk as I am using a ticking time bomb every time I go online Embarrassed
Chris.
7 REPLIES 7
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Re: Echolife HG612 VDSL Modem [BT Openworld Modem]

Reading around it would appear this VDSL modem is well known for overheating. Apparently wall mounting / mounting it vertically helps, but the engineer did not leave a stand for mounting it this way.
Can anyone at PN offer me some advice / arrange for a replacement modem or stand so I can test if this fixes things?
Thanks, Chris.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Same issue here.
on a warm day, a couple of weeks ago, (around 4th July), the modem overheated & couldn't maintain a connection.
I logged it with Plusnet as a fault, but installed a desk fan, pointed straight at the BT modem as a temporary measure, just as Plusnet Support phoned me.  
This allowed the modem to cool & maintain a stable connection while I was still speaking to Plusnet's support agent..
Now the line is stable again (& has remained so since installing the desk fan), Plusnet claim there is no fault & suggest that I remove the fan the next warm day we get, just to make the modem fail again.
They can then log a fault with BT who will probably replace the modem with one of the same model, as this is a known issue with the BT modem.
I was warned however that the replacement modem is also likely to fail on a warm day.
Until the overheating modem issue, I was able to download at around 32 Mbps. I can't expect any higher download speeds than this due to the distance from my home to the cabinet.
Now I can only download at around 27 Mbps or so.
Apparently interleaving was automatically switched on at the cabinet due to the poor connection status.
Unlike ADSL, Plusnet have no control over interleaving for FTTC.
Via the BT speed tester thingy, my sync rate has also apparently dropped from around 35 Mbs to around 28 Mbps.
I am hoping that my download speeds will pick up again, but who knows?
Paul.
chrisoldinho
Grafter

I'm not sure glad is the right word to use, but thanks for sharing your experience Paul, at least I am not alone!
Sadly for me the overheating issue took it's toll shortly after posting on this forum, the modem will not even turn on, no lights are visible on the top. I tried leaving it for 2 hours but it won't turn on Sad
Can someone from PN Support please help. I will try updating the ticket I raised but using my mobile phone as my form of internet connectivity is very slow.
Regards,
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Read here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94723.0.html
and there won't be any staff on until Monday
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see the ticket on your account and have just nudged this for you, should be an update on there shortly.
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Thank you Matt & Oldjim for the link - very interesting reading, I can see I am not alone.
The BT engineer fitted a new modem for me this morning and i'm pleased to say everything is back up and running again now, thanks to PN support for the quick turnaround Grin
I inquired about wall mounting but the engineer said it wouldn't make a great deal of difference, and that there were known issues with the modem related to overheating. Also there was no stand for the unit either, so once again it's mounted horizontally.
Who actually owns the modem, is it me? The reason I ask is that I have some spare Artic Silver thermal paste & a spare perfectly sized CPU fan that I could solder to the board to provide additional cooling. I know I shouldn't really need to do this but it seems like it's effectively a ticking time bomb and this may just fix it (if it's a heat related issue anyway). I don't want to do this however, if it is going to invalidate future repairs (I can see why it might).
Best regards,
Chris.
itsme
Grafter

Openreach own the modem.