cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early activation?

robzor

Early activation?

Hi there,
We've had a bit of a pain with Plus.net, although I do really believe when we're finally sorted with our BB connection it will all be fine (I hope!).
We first placed our order on the 18th of June, and unfortunately the pesky previous tenants in the new property we moved into had deactivated their BT line (even though all the cabling etc was there). So that meant we had to get the engineer out. I reluctantly chose the earliest date I could, of the 16th of July.
A few weeks later, I rang up PN to see if I could convince them to try and expediate the engineer to come around, as we'd had problems in our previous two properties (with new connections) and with enough pressure, they did manage to get someone to come earlier. To my horror, I was told that 'no order had been placed' and that the earliest an engineer could come was the 25th of June. Even though it is impossible to complete the order process without choosing a date (when you need an engineer appoint.), for some reason my original date had been lost in the PN system 😕 To top it off, I was told that PN have no internal communcation mechanism in place to nag BT into coming earlier, so it was the 25th or nothing. I dread to think what would have happened had I not decided to randomly make that call. PN were very nice about it though, and refunded my connection fee *thumbs up*
Cut to the chase, we've had our BT line installed and working fine (although it was a day late! :S) and we've actually had a solid DSL light on our router since Wednesday (1st August). As I have my own router, I'd prefilled in all the connection settings hoping that maybe the DSL would get activated early, and on Wednesday was presented with the BT Home Wholesale page. Tonight I've been doing some reading and have managed to get an IP/DNS/Gateway with both bt_test_user@startup_domain and bt_test_user@plusdsl.net but when I try and use my provided credentials, I get 'Authentication Error'. I've seen on the forums that other people have had their DSL activated early and was hoping (fingers crossed) that mine was in a state for this to happen.
Please please please will you fix it for me to have the internet?
Thanks in advance,
Rob
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Early activation?

If you give the CSC a ring on 0800 432 0200 (now if you like) they should be able to activate your line so that you can connect. Plusnet might not have been notified that the order is complete, but being able to connect using the test login suggests it should work. (The importance of this is that charging for the service will start as soon as your line is activated, even if BT work is incomplete.)
Hope this gets you connected. Smiley
David
robzor

Hey spraxyt,
Thanks for the reply; should I speak to any particular department? I've rung them a few times in the last few days and I keep getting non-techy people who just talk about 'completion date' in a computer says no fashion, I've spoken to both order status and um.. 'broadband settings' and neither of them were like 'oh right, test login, we'll activate you' Sad
robzor

Brilliant. Just rang them up and an incredibly nice + helpful guy said he would 'try' it as it didn't show as complete. Et voila! it works! I'm kicking myself I didn't try this on Wednesday but oh well! Thankyou spraxyt and thankyou PN. Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The CSC are multi-skilled and any of them should have been able to get your connection activated. However if the order is incomplete there is a risk activation won't achieve connection but the customer would be charged for a service they can't receive. So caution called for; in my opinion being able to access the test page using the Plusnet realm made that risk small for you. However glad to hear your call this morning was successful. Smiley
Enabling broadband is a two stage process on the BT side; the first stage is a frames engineer visiting the exchange and connecting your line to a line card in the DSLAM (20CN) or MSAN (21CN). That gives you sync with the exchange (solid green broadband light) which it seems was done on Wednesday. However that is as far as you would be able to go until routing information was added to the back-end systems, using the realm information to take you to Plusnet's gateways. That second stage can occur from a few hours to a day after the first. When routing is in place Plusnet should be notified the order is complete, but perhaps things happening earlier than scheduled has upset timing.
Once notified the order is complete Plusnet would activate the line enabling a solid green internet light.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi robzor,
Glad to see your internet is up and running. I have also replied to your ticket #58432735 on your account.
Let me know if you want any further help.
Chris