Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail Delays

Kwak
Rising Star

EMail Delays

Hi,
Since Thursday i've been getting serious delays on email, like email Thursday coming Friday.
Mail is to a domain and fwded via 123 reg. I'm not seeing any complaints here
at plusnet end, yet strangely not seeing squeals on the web from other 123 reg people either?
I'm suspicious i'm missing mail from yesterday and sent test emails earlier today - one from 3 hours ago still hasn't
arrived. I'm sure there are many 123 reg users who also use plusnet : any others seeing this or
lurking plusnet support had similar queries about this?
If I get an email header:
from mailex.atlas.pipex.net ([194.154.164.64])  by mx.ptn-ipin01.plus.net with ESMTP; 29 May 2009 ..
from <sendIP> by mail6.atlas.pipex.net with esmtp (Exim 4.63) (envelope-from) id <ID> for <me>; Thu, 28 May 2009  ..
Then to me the delay COULD be retrying to plusnet, OR internal to 123 reg - so I'm not sure who to chase!
123 reg USED to have delay issues but past couple years have been *crosses fingers* ok..
Thanks.
33 REPLIES 33
Kwak
Rising Star

Re: EMail Delays

OK I've just received this re a test mail that's > 6 hours since I sent it :
-----
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on mail5.atlas.pipex.net.
<snip>
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
<snip>
    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<>
    host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.65]: 452 Too many recipients received this hour
No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time <...>
----
Now this clearly seems to indicate that 123 is trying alright, and that plus net is kicking
incoming emails to me back to 123 reg. I.e. it's surely a plusnet loading problem?
Can someone in support confirm they are looking into this ASAP, or do I need
to raise a ticket?
Denzil
Grafter

See <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,74985.0.html">this thread</a>.
The clue is this  bit, "452 Too many recipients received this hour". This is PN's anti-spam system (Ironport) blocking emails from a particular server because it thinks there are too many coming through, which could be a sign of a mass spamming.
Raise a support ticket with the headers you have posted above, and hopefully someone will look at the quotas and adjust them if necessary.
Kwak
Rising Star

The clue is this  bit, "452 Too many recipients received this hour". This is PN's anti-spam system (Ironport) blocking emails from a particular server because it thinks there are too many coming through, which could be a sign of a mass spamming.

Well I thought it as maybe the server being overloaded, but that makes some sense.
Raise a support ticket with the headers you have posted above, and hopefully someone will look at the quotas and adjust them if necessary.

Well ok but .. that's a bit naff on PNs part : 123-reg (and their like) must be forwarding **shedloads** of valid email per day to them, as that's what
they DO, and surely PN must be aware of that. To quota them is just going to .. well I can't believe I'll be the only one affected.
I'm personally certainly not receiving enough mail to warrant a quota, and an ISP this size will have loads of 123 reg people!
adie:blue fixed quotes for better readability]
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Kwak
Well ok but .. that's a bit naff on PNs part : 123-reg (and their like) must be forwarding **shedloads** of valid email per day to them, as that's what
they DO, and surely PN must be aware of that. To quota them is just going to .. well I can't believe I'll be the only one affected.
I'm personally certainly not receiving enough mail to warrant a quota, and an ISP this size will have loads of 123 reg people!

Unfortunately it looks like a anti-spam precaution. It's fairly normal for mail servers to keep statistical records of what mail they've received from their peers and Ironport may be set up to temporarily reject mail if it sees a sudden increase in mail (eg double or more). Note that 4xx error codes are transient errors - it tells the peer server that it won't accept this mail this time but that it can be retried later.
However if this is a regular occurrence then something may need to be tweaked so, as Denzil said, it's worth raising a ticket with PN. You may find they're already aware of it.
Mike
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Plusnet not accepting emails ?

I've just received the following delivery failure at my Compuserve address. The email it refers to was sent at 12:29.  It's now 19:18.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on mail5.atlas.pipex.net.
The message identifier is:    1MAjEX-0000U5-Gz
The subject of the message is: Just testing 310509 12:29
The date of the message is:    Sun, 31 May 2009 07:29:43 -0400
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
postman@XXXXXXXXX.plus.com
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial
connection:  host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.65]: 421 #4.4.5 Too many connections from your host.
I see there's planned work tonight. Has something kicked off early?
Andy Cap
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

I too have just had a non-delivery report from Pipex  (123-Reg) in regard to ironport reporting "too many connections".  Unfortunately I started a new thread before reading this one !
As you say, 123-Reg must forward loads of emails. I have been routing all mine via them, up until just recently.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:blue Topics merged just to confuse you mod:end
Kwak
Rising Star

Well for anyone interested I ticketed support yesterday and they told me it was resolved.
BUT I've been sending myself some test messages, and I've seen delays
and I'm still waiting on 3 I sent 3 hours ago, and my orginal test mail that
I mentioned yesterday still hasn't actually arrived either so ... new problem or
original still there? 123 reg have been fine last while so it would be a bit
of a coincidence for both of them to go wrong at once?
I suppose ironically enough if 123 reg email me to tell me couldn't deliver and
gave up THAT might not arrive EITHER so .. Wink
Oh breaking news: 1 delayed test email just arrived, > 3 hours waiting on last jump
to plusnet. Hmm!
woldsend
Dabbler

I also have all my mail forwarded from 123-reg to my plusnet account. All mail that should have been received Thursday arrived Friday, seems to be OK  now.
Mike
Kwak
Rising Star

Yes Mike I had that, a pile of thursdays emails arrived plusnet friday 6am or so BUT I got feeling I was missing
emails from Friday as well (it was quiet .. too quiet), so I've started sending some test emails (not overboard) and
they are still having problems ... If I'm getting it I'd imagine others are?
The fact the test from yesterday, 30 hours ago, hasn't arrived worries me as to missing emails COMPLETELY
not just delays.
adie:quote
woldsend
Dabbler

mmm Just sent myself a test message I'll see how long it takes !
Denzil
Grafter

No promises, but when it happened to me all the messages did turn up eventually.
woldsend
Dabbler

More than one hour since test, as you say, still a problem.
Edit  Arrived 02.00 this morning.
Edit Again : Does anyone know if it would help to whitelist my 123-reg email address ? (just a thought)
Mike
nairnster

Just to say I am also having trouble with 123-reg. I have one email address coming through intermittently as normal but also some with the "452 Too many recipients received this hour" error message. I have a another email address with same domain ending where I have had nothing been forwarded since Wednesday evening (Actually not quiet true I had one email) . I have raised tickets with both plusnet - who say its 123-reg's fault and 123-reg who seem to have muppetts on at the weekend - I am hoping today Monday will get things sorted.
James