cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMAIL: Test messages not getting through

oliverb
Grafter

EMAIL: Test messages not getting through

I'm trying to set up a mailbox for someone. Should be straightforward but when I send a testmessage to <mailbox>@coaxialpower.com it is rejected as undeliverable. Because its refused there's very little to help say why it failed.
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: EMAIL: Test messages not getting through

I *think* I've located the mailbox you are trying, was it the one set up on the 5th? If so I've just sent a test to it and could see it was received straight away. Can you try sending another message or PMing me if I've got the wrong mailbox.
Also if it's rejected it should have an error code, normally beginning with 5 or 4, can you let me know what that is and the error message you get?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oliverb
Grafter

Thanks, that did get through.
I had two messages that I sent bounce initially though,
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
  *****@*****.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host *****.com.s5a1.psmtp.com [64.18.4.10]:
    571 Message Refused

Not sure what's going on but its very imprtant for us that mail to domains gets through.
Anyway mostly the problem was in the other direction, configuring OE correctly when the mailbox user isn't connected via plusnet. I'm just a bit rusty I guess.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

571 Message Refused

IIRC that's blatant spam blocking, you could try whitelisting the from address in the manage my mail section, or turning edge protection off (this will inevitably mean more spam gets through too tho).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oliverb
Grafter

Which is somewhat alarming since that's email sent via Plusnet to Plusnet.
FWIW are Plusnet currently on any IP lists? I see that spamhaus SBL list six Plusnet IPs, mostly dating from 2007.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: oliverb
Which is somewhat alarming since that's email sent via Plusnet to Plusnet.

I think you'll find that Postini identifies as spam *anything* sent via plusnet relays.  It's not a question of blacklisting but, I think, a result of the volume of mail Postini sees from this source. That is why the domain plus.com has had to be whitelisted at the organisation level, to allow eg. plusnet forum notifications to reach users.  Domains hosted by plusnet and sending mail via Postini are not org whitelisted in the same way.  I think you will have to whitelist these yourself.
Chris
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

You're right Chris. Any thing .plus.com > .plus.com will be fine, but hosted domains are still going to be subject to the edge blocking.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

oliverb
Grafter

That's crazy, you'd think they'd have a way of estimating the ratio of spam to ham for any source. AFAIK other filters can.