cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail problems

atbs1
Grafter

E-mail problems

Doing a send/receive using Outlook I have, starting only today, received this error message:
Task 'Stephen - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
Anyone shed light on this please?
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: E-mail problems

Hiya,
Could you tell us what you are using as the incoming mail server?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Try temporarily disabling your antivirus/Internet security software and see if that makes a difference...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

atbs1
Grafter

@James we use mail.plus.net  (in Outlook)
We use AVG antivirus which has worked happily with Outlook for over a year.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Using telnet from here shows there to be no current issues with our incoming mail server.
I'd definitely recommend trying to disable your AVG suite as a precaution.  Because something has worked in the past, doesn't mean it's not causing a problem and antivirus and firewall software is the number one culprit in making email stop working!
If that doesn't help, I'd strongly advise deleting and recreating the email account in Outlook.
atbs1
Grafter

Now disabled AVG, but the error persists...Good day, but not for my Pc.  I'll delete and re-create the accounts.
atbs1
Grafter

Deleted all m ail accounts. Re-created just one though.  Still the same error. Feel "naked"without anti virus!
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.  To check that POP3 is working on your computer...
- Open command prompt
- Type "telnet mail.plus.net 110"
- Hit enter
You should get a connected ok message of some kind.  If that's working, I'd look at installing thunderbird and seeing if you still get the same problem.  Outlook could be throwing a wobbly.
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If telnet works I suggest running Windows Update and checking if there were any automatic updates to Office 2003 since Outlook last worked. I received Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB959140) yesterday. In my case on XP Home SP3 with Avast antivirus and Comodo Firewall I've had no problems.
However if you had an update I suggest you try uninstalling it and see if the problem goes away. What to do after that depends on results.
David
David
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

If you use automatic update it can sometimes be a pain and enable windows firewall all by it's self (especialy in Vista), check that it's off (or if you use it turn it off and get a real one).
atbs1
Grafter

Hi James,  thankyou and thanks to everyone who responded. It turns out to be software corruption! Windows messenger got corrupted and interfered with Outlook. The net result was to format  C: and re-install. There also has been an error issue with Acronis that may have contributed to this.  Once again, thanyou all.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear it's all sorted! Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵