Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail from plusnet today

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: E mail from plusnet today

Hi FiftyFive,
I've asked one of our faults guys to pick this up for you.
Jojo Smiley
bluehoadley
Dabbler

Hi
Jojo  thank you.
Jelv  I have taken your comments on board, and as valid as they probably are, you are taking the standpoint of someone who is 'in the know' I have had a very fast learning curve as far as plusnet is concerned.
I would not normally expect to have to delve into the statistics of a router, find out the BT speed test, and whatever else, and publish the results, I fully understand that some feedback from the customer is a requirement for fault testing, but the onus seems to be put on the customer for a resolve rather than the supplier.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The requirements are not due to your ISP being Plusnet but because the service is subcontracted from BT Wholesale. Plusnet bends over backwards to make sure you are not hit with a charge of well over £100 if an engineer calls and finds out that it is problem due to either the customers equipment or the internal wiring (again the customers responsibility). The questions we are asking should help you and Plusnet get to a quicker identification of the cause. It may be that other ISPs will just tell you that what you are getting is all your line will support - I don't know.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bluehoadley
Dabbler

Jelv,
Thanks for your response, I appreciate that plusnet do endeavour to avoid customers facing an exorbitant bill from BT, but I do have some issues with the internal wiring scenario, there may well be instances of people hard wiring extensions with bits of bell-wire connected with terminal blocks wrapped in insulating tape, there may also be those that are incapable of simply following instructions on where, and how to plug leads in, as I have already stated, my router is directly connected  to the BT test socket with the cable supplied by plusnet, my computer is likewise connected to the router with the cable supplied by plusnet, I have already stated that one of the two filters supplied was faulty (no throughput connection on the data side), fortunately the other filter proved to be Ok.  The main BT socket is brand new and was installed and tested along with the line on the 10th of Feb 2011, in the light of all this  I will be assuming absolutely no responsibility for any fault with the internal wiring, it's what I received with the router.
To be fair, I am not laying any blame with plusnet,  I believe that there may well be an issue with the existing external cabling which is frankly ancient, or that something has gone awry at the exchange.
Best regards
John
bluehoadley
Dabbler

Morning all,
A quick update,
BT engineers visit yesterday and find a fault on the line, off they go to fix the fault on the line, they report back an hour later that the problem is sorted and that 7Mb/s  was found at the cabinet, he checks my main box and finds 6.5Mb/s! wonderful!
I connect to the net and do a speed test, all three of us are watching the speedometer with baited breath and the result is.........0.25Mb/s  engineer gets on his mobile, "Ahh mate your line is capped at 0.5Mb/s I have asked for it to come off, it should take 2 hours"  Lovely, I thank them both and send them on their way.
Later on that night I take a look at plusnet's site and am pleased to see a line speed of 6.5Mb/s I'm not getting it mind but it least it looks promising,  I check again this morning 5.5Mb/s Hmmm, check again 1 hour later 5Mb/s, I start to get that gloom and doom feeling, so do a speed test,  what am I actually getting? 0.25 Mb/s download 0.33Mb/s upload. Oh well, par for the course then!
So another ten days of snail surfing while the router is potty trained again, well actually no because I have had to pay for some data allowance on my 3G dongle ( which delivers 3Mb/s all day, every day, without fail) so I can actually do some work.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

First you need to find out if BT have de-restricted your speed by running the BT speed test. If they have you then need to check if Plusnet have set your current line speed to match: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Next you need to check if your line is syncing as fast as it could. To do this you need to look at the stats reported by your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin). If you post those here we will help you interpret them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi FiftyFive,
I've identified a consistency issue, which is basically a stuck profile, so although you have a 5000 bRAS profile, the MSAN (the piece of equipment at the exchange that you are connected to) is still giving you the old profile. I have rectified this and reset your line. This can take up to 24 hours to take effect (it's normally a lot quicker) but I believe it's more of a configuration problem rather than a physical one now so it should be sorted soon.
Jojo Smiley
bluehoadley
Dabbler

Hi Jelv
Just as I was about to respond my router re-set itself I have  attached  the results
bluehoadley
Dabbler

It looks like I am finally up and running, thanks to all that helped Grin
john
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great news, John. Thanks for letting us know.