cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail delays

mapletree
Grafter

Re: E-mail delays

Looks like it gets stuck in critical path.
@brassmonkey - Are you part of the trial?
James
Grafter

Hi Guys,
Bob will be along in a bit to ewxplain the specifics, but this should not be an issue, ie: there should not be email delays with mail getting stuck on critical path.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Morning all,
Apologies for the delay getting back with an explanation.
It looks like there are two separate issues here.
The first issue is due to work that was conducted yesterday. Apologies ithat this was not announced via planned maintenance however the Comms team were not made aware that this had been done until today.
Turns out that one of the Critical Path boxes was deployed alongside sunmxcore18 for an hour or so yesterday (between 2:00pm-3:00pm). This was done for debugging purposes (there were a couple of engineers from Critical Path here).
Unfortunately this has resulted in some of the email destined for sunmxcore18 (approximately 1 in 11 emails will have gone to this server) to become delayed  Sad
It seems that the CP box accumulated a queue of around 150,000 emails during it's hour on the network. We've been investigating why this happened. These messages have been dequeuing at a rate of about 1500-3500 emails per hour - This should be a lot quicker and (overnight especially) all email should have been dequeued. Sadly it hasn't been and there are still 20,000 emails or so on the box. Most of this will be spam but there are likely to be genuine emails in the midst so chances are there'll be more reports of delays. We anticipate that the queues will have cleared within a couple of hours.
Whilst the correct change control/peer review avenues were followed, omitting to notify Comms meant that we weren't pro-active in our messaging and no planned maintenance went out. Formal changes have been proposed for the Change Control procedure to always involve the Comms Team.
The second issue (The one that the OP experienced) has been raised internally as problem 46136 and relates to delays on the incoming mx.core mail delivery servers. Initial /suspicions/ are that this is something to do with one of the spam processes not retrying if it fails to run first time round (normally when it's busy). We're still looking into this but thankfully reports don't appear to be too widespread.
Sorry for the inconvenience being caused  by these issues ans for the lack of notification. I'll update Service Status and change the traffic light to amber.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LiamM
Grafter

I can't believe that the Critical Path box was introduced onto the live platform again.  Let alone that Comms were not informed.
If you ask me, what happened there is worse than last week on principle.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Poacher turned Gamekeeper - or is that the other way round  Grin
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Service Status here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

James,
I'd be inclined to agree with your comments. Steps will be taken to ensure Comms are always notified accordingly (which in all fairness we normally are). The change control and job was documented in our internal systems however we wouldn't normally make a habit of looking for it (as we'd normally have expected to have been made aware if we were doing anything like this).
Introducing the box in front of one of our 22 servers was the most suitable method of debugging the issues that occurred when we attempted to deploy the system. I think it's important we understand exactly what went wrong and this is just a normal part of the investigative work required to do this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

brassmonkey

No I'm not aware I'm part of a trial.