cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail Attachment Problems

thejudge
Rising Star

Re: E-mail Attachment Problems

I already have Thunderbird on the old machine - I'd used it for years prior to getting my new one. It's an older version of Thunderbird as well - no update for a year.
I can't send it through that version either - same symptoms.
Weird...especially as both installations worked fine up until a month or so ago.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Have you tried a complete re-install of Thunderbird?
You seem to have tried all the options.  If you have a friend with Thunderbird send the email to him via webmail then ask him to try and send it back to you.
thejudge
Rising Star

This is interesting:
I created a new Thunderbird profile on my new machine, set everything up and tried it again.
It still stops at 55%.
Hmmm...
thejudge
Rising Star

I have now found what the problem was...
...it's rather embarrassing, really.  Embarrassed
The Netgear DG834 has a setting which enables you to have Instant Messaging ports open or closed.
I must have closed it, thinking it would increase my security.
Maybe it did - but it also created the problem with e-mail attachments.
Setting it back to 'Open' (the default setting) has cured it. Dunno why this wasn't causing a problem with Outlook, though.
Thanks to all, and apologies for wasting everyone's time. Remember, boys and girls, "When all else fails, read the instructions!"
geewizz
Grafter

Thanks for reporting back on that one. It's always interesting to learn how things are solved.
Well done on locating the culprit too. I don't think I would ever have tracked that one down.