cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic/static IP

Kazbah
Grafter

Dynamic/static IP

Ok, im due to commence services with Plusnet next week and in my account it tells me im currently using a dynamic IP and offers me to activate static IP. I know having a static IP means the PC can be a little more vulnerable but I know what im doing and regularly run system scans etc and have what I feel is adequate security and protection but in your opinions what are the advantages and disadvantages between static and dynamic IP's. If i decide to activate static, when would I need to do it, before Plusnet goes live or after? Cant say its something I've ever given much thought to as its never been offered/available!
Thanks in advance  Smiley
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Dynamic/static IP

Hi there,
You'll be able to activate your account once your broadband has gone live with us.
If you login @ http://portal.plus.net
- Click on Connection Settings on the left hand side
- Click on the Static IP icon
- Click on activate your Static IP
Sorted Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

Ah, ok, i'll wait for that then. But, what are the advantages and disadvantages between static and dynamic?
James
Grafter

If you don't need a static ip, then you may as well not use one Smiley
The obvious advantage would be if you wanted to run a server of any description.
Community Veteran

I have a counter on the web site that I maintain ( www.chelmsfordsongsters.org.uk ; ) and the provider uses my static IP to know not to count my visits to the page if I want to check anything.
John
dusty_bin
Grafter

Quote from: Kazbah
Ah, ok, i'll wait for that then. But, what are the advantages and disadvantages between static and dynamic?

In most cases dynamic is fine, although I've always used accounts giving a static IP...
The principal reasons for wanting static are:
- if you want run a server that is accesible from the internet
- if you want to access your computer or router remotely
There are ways round it, but having static makes life easier.
I don't really buy into the theory that static is inherently less secure...
And I'll just give another plug for getting static available on the Value account for new customers... please pretty please Wink