Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate e-mails

spamnchips
Dabbler

Duplicate e-mails

Hi,
I keep getting duplicate e-mails in my inbox.  For example the "notification" e-mail from Free-Online telling me they are going to take payment was delivered 12 times.  I just hope they only take one payment.
Regards
John
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Duplicate e-mails

Hi John,
Is this using webmail or an email programme?  If the latter, do you know if you have requested to keep copies of messages left on the server?
Let us know what email programme you're using (if applicable) and we'll suggest a next step.
spamnchips
Dabbler

Hi James,
I use Thunderbird and yes I have requested to leave e-mails on the server until I delete them.  This has not been a problem before so why should it start happening now ? It does not happen from all e-mail senders, only a few.
Regards
John
PS Another "notification" e-mail has just arrived.
James
Grafter

Yup, you're right there.
Could you possibly try logging in via webmail and see if there is a malformed or corrupt email sitting in there, that could be causing you to download your emails each time round?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Is it only the one instance of an e-mail that is being resent over an over, or is there multiple different e-mails that are being duplicated?
spamnchips
Dabbler

The biggest offender is the Free-Online notification e-mail which still had three versions (all with the same date & time stamp) in my Webmail inbox.  I got up to 14 of those.  A few other senders seem to end up as multiples but not everything.  I have now cleared my inbox and the webmail inbox. We will see what happens now.
Regards
John
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Do both emails have the same to address? Is one your postmaster and one the email address you have under your account details on the portal perhaps?
I'm on PN and get 2 emails, one to postmaster and one to my main contact address on my account.
If you look at the headers do they each have the same message-ID?
spamnchips
Dabbler

Well that didn't work.  Two more "notification" e-mails from Free-Online today.  As I had cleared the Webmail Inbox these were two new posts both to me and not the "postmaster"
Regards
John
James
Grafter

Which email account are we talking about?  I'm only seeing 2 emails on your default account over the past couple of days.
spamnchips
Dabbler

Hi James,
They are the "Notification billing of your Free-Online Broadband Plus up to 8Mb (Monthly Contract, Activation and Modem Offer) account" from "accounts@plus.net.uk " being sent to my postmaster address.  I cleared the box completely yesterday to see if this would solve the problem.  There have been three more since then.  This totals about 15 now over the last week.
Regards
John
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Look at the headers and see if the message-ID is the same on both?
Also check the Envelope-to address and see if they are the same.
spamnchips
Dabbler

Yup. All three identical.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have moved this across to a more appropriate place.
Chilly