cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping the connection most of the time

hamilton36
Grafter

Dropping the connection most of the time

I tried to download a programme with BBC iPlayer after midnight  last night (actually 00.30hrs this morning) and the download failed 3 times because the connection was lost.  I succeeded on the 4th attempt.  I also get frequen "no response from Plus.net"; "mail.plus.net not available"; "DNS failed" and similar error messages, both on my PC and on the mobile.  The PC is connected with Belkin 54G router and I use Thomson to connect the TV.  When the connection is lost I am still connected to the default gateway, so I assume that the "fault" is with you.
This really is testing my patience.
Alex
5 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 63

Re: Dropping the connection most of the time

You mentioned both a Belkin router and a Thomson (router?) - do you mean you have both connected to the phone line? Or is the former a wireless dongle on the PC?
If you connect your computer to the router wirelessly do you still have the problem?
David
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
You mentioned both a Belkin router and a Thomson (router?) - do you mean you have both connected to the phone line? Or is the former a wireless dongle on the PC?
If you connect your computer to the router wirelessly do you still have the problem?

My PC has no Wi-Fi facility, so it is connected to Belkin with ethernet lead.  When I want to download programmes with BBS iPlayer, I disconnect the Belking and connect the
TV to Thomson router, also with ethernet lead.  The mobile is connected via Wi-Fi to whichever router I happen to be using.  All three , PC, TV and mobile suffer from dropped lines and I have tried connecting the PC to Thomson and the TV to Belkin and the line was still dropping often. 
Alex
jojopillo
Grafter

Hi hamilton36,
disconnecting and reconnecting the routers like that will not help with your line profile. If you find it's dropping a lot you need to have a look here to see how to troubleshoot it.
Jojo Smiley
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi hamilton36,
disconnecting and reconnecting the routers like that will not help with your line profile. If you find it's dropping a lot you need to have a look here to see how to troubleshoot it.
Jojo Smiley

Jojo,
I disconnect the main router, Belkin 54G, overnight. The Thomson is kept downstairs and used only when I want to download programmes on BBC iPlayer, about once or twice a week at the most. So, Belking is connected first thing in the morning and stays on all day.  I have carried out the checks you suggested before and found nothing wrong. Just now at 22.:42:30hrs I tried to download emails to my mobile and got a "no response from Plus.net".  What can be wrong at my end when I am connected to the default gateway and remain so connected when the line drops - i.e. no internet. 
Alex
jojopillo
Grafter

Hi Alex,
At this moment in time I couldn't tell you what's wrong. The link I gave you shows you how to check your line by performing certain things, the main one being the test socket. Is the Belkin connected to an extension socket or the main one? Have you tried the test socket.
Jojo Smiley