Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping internet connection

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Dropping internet connection

Last night my Plusnet internet connection kept dropping about every 5 minutes.  Disconnecting and connecting on the router interface, changing the microfilter and rebooting my Netgear DG834 wired modem/router did not help.  I went to bed and decided to replace the 5-year-old Netgear.  But this morning it was functioning normally.

The question is: How do you know it is not the modem/router but the Plusnet connection that is at fault?  How do you test the modem/router? TIA for any ideas.

3 REPLIES 3
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Dropping internet connection

A defective router is very unlikely to repair itself, whereas broadband can suffer intermittent problems which can come and go apparently randomly, as I have discovered several times over the past few years.

If you have further problems you do have a router which will work with Routerstats if you want to go down the road of gathering stats about the performance of your connection.

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for your wise observation.  Routerstats is a bit complicated for me.  The best solution seems to be to sleep on the problem and look at it again in the morning.  The wonders of Broadband, PlusNet and BT!

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Since some serious broadband problems a few years ago I've kept Routerstats running just to see what my connection gets up to when it thinks I'm not looking. Police

It's quite surprising how often it is sailing very close to the wind indeed without actually dropping too often.

No reason to suspect my connection is not similar to many (if not most Undecided) others relying on what is often some pretty crummy and poorly maintained BT infrastructure.