Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped speed by 10 Mbps

fuzzmo
Grafter

Dropped speed by 10 Mbps

Hi,
Had an incredible time trying to get connected into a new build property.  However after two months and much frustration I finally got connected to Fiber.  My line was rated at 66 Mbps but initially I only got 49-51 Mbps.  I then realised that Fiber was not actually installed in the master socket but on an extension.  An Openreach engineer turned up, and joined the cables at the now old Master socket with a wire spliced connection, and made the current connection the new Master Socket.  My speed was then rated at 49 Mbps.  Wasn't happy about this but decided not to waste any more time on this. 
Fast forward to then end of this month (i.e. now) and the speed is now rated at 40-41 Mbps.  Running the BT speed check the profile for my line is apparently 43.36 Mbps - a drastic difference from 66 Mbps I was estimated to get originally and still a big difference from my initial line speed which was good for about two weeks it appears.  Can someone from Plusnet let me know what the deal is with this?  Current speed checks range from 40-41 Mbps - I know I can get more than that.
On another note - is there any issue with using a wire spliced connection (i.e. the ones that use the gel covers) as against using an IDC connection?
Thanks,
Farvesh
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 68

Re: Dropped speed by 10 Mbps

Hii fuzzmo,
Bearing in mind that fibre speeds can drop a little as up-take on the same cab you're connected to increases however with a drop like that you might want to raise a fault: http://faults.plus.net
I have some diagnostics by the way and can't see anything obvious.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fuzzmo
Grafter

Re: Dropped speed by 10 Mbps

Apologies for the late reply as I was out of the country again.  It appears you are arranging another visit which is good.  At the end of the day the line speed was consistent for two weeks and then has dropped by 10Mbps which I don't really accept.  However I can go through this with the BT Engineer when he arrives.  Please can you liaise with me for a suitable time as I am again out of the country over these next two weeks so would appreciate a visit after then (which probably makes a pleasant change for your scheduling people! Wink)