cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped connections...again

BJK
Dabbler

Dropped connections...again

I still get the dropped connections, probably at least one a day, not lasting long about 5-15 minutes. I see an error code on chrome 'Resolving host' I have flushed the DNS cache, the router is attached to the main phone socket, the socket does not have a test socket, but we did have two phone lines coming into the house, but discontinued when we went onto broadband some years ago.
I thought it might be an issue with my macbook pro, but the problem still occurs if I activate my old windows machine! I changed the channel to 12 as none of neighbouring routers use it, I have a very good signal as I use an extender, even plugging in an ethernet cable to a TP powerline does not solve the issue.
Although the router and internet connection appear to be fine, we did not have this problem prior to signing up with plusnet in June this year.
We do not have cordless phones, or other wireless apparatus in the house, the router is nowhere near the microwave
All I can say is, I am totally baffled.
Help please
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Dropped connections...again

Hi BJK,
Do these happen around the same time each day? I know we've made some changes to our DNS servers recently which have stopped a lot of the slowdowns people were seeing, maybe try changing the DNS servers in your PC/Mac's network connection properties to see if this makes any difference?
BJK
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Sometimes first thing when I log on, then midday. My network preference states my DNS [for the TG582n] is 192.168.1.254. should I change the DNS? if so to what?
Thanks
PS: Connection dropped again [16.01] however when I sat next to my router the WiFi connected?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Try setting them in the network connection properties to ours, but so they go direct rather than via the router (in case that's slowing things down) - 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50
If that doesn't help try google's or openDNS just to make sure it's not an issue with ours -
google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
openDNS is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
Please let us know if any of the above makes a difference at all? That'll at least let us know where the problem is.
BJK
Dabbler

Hi Matt
I have re-sited my router to it's original position and have entered your suggested DNS configuration [212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50]
See if that improves things. I hope so as I had three disconnects between 1600-1700!
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
BJK