cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop to 0.4Mbit Download Speed

pshuttle

Drop to 0.4Mbit Download Speed

Hi,
I opened a ticket on the 4th of August (Ticket number 89552387) regarding a drop from 1.8 Mbit to a somewhat flakey 0.4Mbit download speed. Well it is now the 8th of August, and nobody has responded to me other than the automated "We have found a fault" reply in the members centre. Essentially, my broadband connection dropped twice during a thunderstorm on the evening of the 3rd, and on reconnection, the modem connected at 0.4 Mbit and has not recovered.
1.8 Mbit is pretty terrible nowadays so a drop to 0.4 Mbit means the connection is now barely usable. Please can someone look into this? I really should not have to pester support for an answer, especially 4 days later - reading some of the horror stories on here I am not prepared to wait weeks.
Very disappointed, as when I have had the odd problem in the past, support has sorted it within a few days.
Pete
4 REPLIES 4
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Drop to 0.4Mbit Download Speed

Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forums.
I'm sorry to see that your ticket hasn't been picked up. I've poked one of the fault team leaders to try to get someone to pick this up for you ASAP.
In the mean time, I've done a quick line test and see that your line profile did drop to 500k (hence your current throughput speeds). This rose to 1Mbit a couple of days ago but your connection hasn't restarted. If you re-authenticate/reboot your router, you should see an instant increase to about 1Mbit. I will then get the faults team to investigate further and try to get you back up to the speeds that you had initially.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
pshuttle

Hi many thanks for the updates on the ticket. It looks like the reset on the DSLAM and the reboot of my modem has done the trick and started the training period again. I have closed the ticket.
Cheers,
Pete
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Pete,
That might not have been wise... one needs to ask WHY the profile had slipped?  The DLM does not restrict the line speed without having good cause.  Do not be surprised if your line is soon back to where it was, unless a fault had been found and rectified.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pshuttle

Townman,
I am pretty sure it was directly related to multiple lightning strikes in the vicinity of the exchange and my house. Connection was fine before and immediately terrible after it reconnected after the strikes. Also, the connection sync rate has jumped to exactly the same speed it was before the storm.
Perhaps it will drop again. We shall see.
Pete