cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop-outs of some websites.

colintivy
Rising Star

Drop-outs of some websites.

I am a new customer with obsoilete gear (Win 98SE OE4 etc) I find that when attempting tp go to some sites, notably Microsoft, AdAware updates and even the speedtester quoted in newsletter 16, the display freezes and/or the machine crashes and reboots. I am seriously thinking of fleeing MS and going to Linux to see if it will get better and let me carry on with old machine..cash strapped and do not like Vista.
10 REPLIES 10
artificer
Grafter

Re: Drop-outs of some websites.

you will recieve a warm welcome and all the help you need at pclinuxos.com.  more info, including the specs of your machine will help when you ask - one question per post - and the experts will flock to get you going on that old machine.
visit pclinuxos.com for more info.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What web browser are you using and have you tried/will your system cope with an alternative?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks a lot for rapid responses. I intend to look into Linux as recommended. Ubunto looks promising if drivers for existing hardware are available. I do not fathom system crashes by some sites. Plus.net always comes up as expected as do several others but lots of usefuls reliably behave as stated. Could be antiquity of some of my Apps but I cannot update because MS is not happening.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Remember that Ubuntu runs as a live demo so that you can try it for driver compatibility before installing. One thing that I would recommend is get a router, rather that trying to use a USB modem. It will save you a fortune in hair care products.
You should be able to pick up a router cheap on ebay, particularly if you do for a non wireless model.
colintivy
Rising Star

Replies 1. Bob, Internet Explorer 4 (on original note. Cannot update due to inability to be with MS. Old machine not used for Internet so not updated before this. Not tried other browsers but di not see why some sites are perfect.
Reply 2. CP. Have got Ubunto disk but not yet playted with it. Might have to replace HD..only 6GB and lokely to be tight in use. I am using BT 210 router (as supplied by Plus) on Ethernet on my old tower.. Laptop Win 98SE gone unstable so loath to lose this means of contacting the rest of the world.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Wow, your machine sounds like one for the dropouts  I have Win98 and XP but a bit more modern than yours,  Your machine is big enough for Linux, bit not much else,  Lots of people keep machines like yours just for getting e-mails. - can you afford a bit for a 200-300 machine, you would notice the differencs, but be careful if you do, they are not normally equiped for Vista but come with it, they can run XP if the supplier will play.
chillypenguin
Grafter

As you are running on older hardware I would suggest that you look at Xubuntu;
Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop environment, meaning that it will run fast while still delivering a user-friendly interface. Older computers feel lively again, while newer ones will run faster than ever before!

A default installation of 7.10 with Open Office is under 2G, so will fit easily on your 6G hard drive. Just remember to save your files first to either a USB pen drive or CD.
waldron
Grafter

Another vote for Ubuntu. The live disc is an excellent platform to test out without committing yourself. I am currently in the process of migrating from XP. I am more than happy with the basics, although finding it difficult to drag myself away from some of my favourite Windows products.
artificer
Grafter

while ubuntu is a great distro and popular with many people, pclinuxos livecd was designed to make the transition from windows to linux as painless as possible.
why not download several livecd .isos and try them in vmware, or virtual box, try them out and see which takes your fancy, recognises all your hardware and is easiest to set up and configure?
visit reallylinux.com and ask for advice there.  they are incredibly friendly and will help you all they can.
other distros you might find suit you are suse and mandriva.
visit some of the fora and have a read of what people are saying.  browsing in this way will automagically stuff information into your brain without you even noticing until later you realise you know more than you expected.
Tracer
Grafter

try grabbing MS updates from http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
Just install the plugin and it will scan for MS updates.