cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop outs and poor signal with Plusnet router. But ASUS unreliable?

SkylineUK
Grafter

Drop outs and poor signal with Plusnet router. But ASUS unreliable?

I had fibre installed a couple of weeks ago,  The PlusNet router and BT modem are upstairs next to my PC.
Speeds are now ok but my wife's Apple laptop has poor/zero signal downstairs (my Toshiba is ok though) and the TV drops out when using NerFlix - the signal bars are low.  I conclude that I need a more powerful router, but which one? I just read some reviews on Amazon.co.uk of a £108 ASUS model and the one and two star reviews are shocking.
Can anyone a good, reliable alternative?
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Drop outs and poor signal with Plusnet router. But ASUS unreliable?

You could stick with the Plusnet router and use a wireless range extender or wallplug system that sets up a secondary wireless network.  I have used Netgear products in both these situations and been pleased with them.  Either would be a good deal cheaper than the £108 you were proposing to spend.
shure
Grafter

I'm assuming you're talking about the Asus RT-N66u?  It's got 350 reviews and out of that 300 are either 4 or 5 star.  That's 85%, which is pretty good.  You also have to remember that some reviews on Amazon are written by people who really haven't got a clue.  One buyer gave it a poor review because it didn't have a modem built in!  And every product will have both good and bad reviews.  Pretty much every professional review I've read states it has the best wireless performance of any n router on the market.
I bought this router recently and have to say the wireless performance is superb, much, much better that the PN supplied one.  I'm getting coverage in parts of the house I didn't before and video streaming doesn't impact upon other user's performance like it did before, and I'm only only an 8Mb product.  I also live in  a house with very thick walls so I'm impressed by how it manages to deal with those.  It's far too early to say how reliable it is but in terms of performance I'm very, very happy.  I know from reading this forum that there are many other happy customers out there, too.  You might want to poll some users' experiences on this forum to help you make up your own mind.
Having said that, I've heard (not experienced) some fairly bad reports of Asus support, so if that's a concern of yours then you might want to consider other options.  What you will need depends heavily on your personal circumstances but if you are looking at wireless performance then Asus routers tend to have a very good name.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I recently swapped out the Plusnet router.
Whilst the signal range was reduced from my old ADSL modem/router, I wouldn't describe it as particularly poor range. What caused me the most problems was that wireless stations would simply drop out and I would have to reboot the router to get them to connect again. Now whilst this may not seem like a big deal, it's annoying when I want to use my iPhone to control the sky box, or home cinema system and they aren't "on the network" anymore. Strangely, this issue only seemed to affect equipment that was always connected by wireless, such as the sky box etc, but the transient devices, like cell phones, that frequently left WiFi range then reconnected later didn't suffer the same issues.
When it got to the point that I was spending more time rebooting the router than actually using it, I went hunting for a new router.
I looked at the Asus, couple of Belkins and some Netgears. I wanted to get the Netgear R6250 AC1600 which PC World had on offer at the time for £129 (it's dropped again since then). This router had Gigabit ethernet, in addition to AC wireless, which would have been perfect for Apple devices in use. However, the PC World I was in, had only one in the shop, which had been previously purchased and returned because it was "Not suitable". PC World deemed that they could slap a sticker on it saying previously owned (good, happy with this) but then still ask full price for it - not even so much as a fiver off for a damaged box.
I'm sorry, but I don't pay full price for an open box - regardless how long it may have been open for. Huh
I finally settled on a Netgear WNDR3799 router, which has dual band WiFi (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz) and 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, perfect for what I needed, although I don't get the AC additional speed for the Apple devices. Picked it up at the same PC World, in a sealed box, for £70, although it seems to be up at £90 at PC World now. Prices at Amazon start at around £60.
Have to say the network here has been faultless since I installed it. No wireless stations dropping off the network and the range is about where it was on my DG834G ADSL router. If I'm honest, I like Netgear routers. The user interface, whilst it has been updated, still feels familiar and easy to navigate. If I have to level one single complaint at the router, it is that the user interface does not render in Safari on my Mac and I had to install Firefox to manage the router. Other than that, I'm really pleased with the £70 investment, it's a big improvement on the free router.
SkylineUK
Grafter

I thought I'd try an extender first so I bought the NetGear WN3000RP from Amazon.  I set it up precisely per the instructions.  All seemed well as all lights went to green, etc. BUT, neither my TV or two laptops can log in to the extended network (nicely showing 5 bars) as the network password is rejected. The instructions say the password is the same as the main network via the PlusNet router.  So this piece of crap goes back to Amazon tomorrow.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Are your instructions the same as these - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20912/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-netgear-wn3000rp-universal-... ?
Have you configured the device to use the same security settings?  It does not do this by default.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beetnik
Grafter

I had similar issues to the OP and have now had the Asus RT-N66u up and running for 15 months. It's excellent. I went from a poor/no signal unless very close to the Plusnet supplied router to an excellent signal throughout my (fairly large, brick built) house and garden. Neighbours have also piggy backed on it when they had problems with their provider.