Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop of SNR in working hours

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Drop of SNR in working hours

What percentage of your total packet count is seeing CRC errors?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Jelv,
I don't know how many packets are sent / recieved, only what the router tells me:
Uptime:1 day, 10:50:47
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:19,273 / 8,456
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:904 / 8,727
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:175.16 / 2.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:24.5 / 40.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:5.5 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):95,286 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):40,576 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):11,306,138 / 1,641,857
HEC Errors (Up/Down):1,112,409,535 / 10,455,536
I assume the 'Data transferred' (Sent) should read MB rather than GB.
From the roterstats graph, the vast majority of the CRC (Down) errors have occurred in approximately 8 hours when the line 'quality' dropped though most of this time the line was not actually being used but still clocked up a steady rate of CRC errors
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
carrot63
Grafter

I tried looking up the routerstats error graphs from my issue, but unfortunately I only kept the SNR graphs for reference, not the error counts. Nevertheless, exactly the same as mine; SNR drops, error rates go through the roof from virtually nothing. SNR comes back up, erroring returns to near zero.
Unless something has changed drastically in six months at PN towers, the problem you are going to have with communicating this to support is that they have an entirely different view of what happens on the line to you. Essentially (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) they can do spot checks that give them figures for a short window, or they can look at the figures from the exchange, which will give aggregated information since the last sync - for example Mean Time Between Errors, sync, uptime, retrains in 24 hours etc. What this definitely will NOT give them is a clear 'picture' of a fault that develops as yours does - routerstats does so far better, albeit with less accuracy in the actual figures depending on the router.
If there is no loss of sync, support will conclude the problem is "solved".
If you resync while the problem is ongoing, you will lose (at a guess) a couple of meg in speed, but should find the line 'smoother' and perfectly usable. The router will probably still report CRC errors, but many fewer. When the problem goes away later in the day, the SNR will pop up and you can resync the previous higher rate. Rinse and repeat as necessary! Downside is that you may lose a bit on your profile at the exchange, although if its already at 6mb you probably wont lose much bearing in mind your current sync. You were (I think) on the DLM trial, so at least you wont get hit by banding or SNR target jumps if you resync.
Have your neighbours had any problems?
w23
Pro

Hi Carrot,
You're right, I was on the DLM trial so I have at least one advantage.
If I resync when the margin is low it does improve things a bit exactly as you say (though not back to usual speed in terms of pages loading etc, more somewhere between terrible and normal), the router then usually resyncs overnight when it sees a very high margin then it goes back to rubbish internet the next time the problem on the line occurs, usually the problem i when the kids get in from school and I'm at workand I wil not let them touch the router, I just get complaints about the internet as soon as I get home.
I don't know about neighbours, many around here are on Virgin cable but I did noice a BT Openreach van in the street around the time I first noticed the problem, I just don't know where it went.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
amcclean
Rising Star

Hi Walker23,
Still having issues with slow webpages and low snr myself 0.5 myself. Pn tell me low SNR should not affect my surfing but it always coincides with the drop in speed, retention of sync and inability to use the web.
I currently have a Pn router which has shown FEC Errors (Up/Down): 35 / 1,873,598 In the last 1 day and 1.5 hrs.  and CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,589
BT due tomorrow.
w23
Pro

Hi Podman,
a low snr should not, itsself, cause slow speed but I think excessively high error rates are indicative of noise issues that can cause the kindof problems we are experiencing.
Good luck for tomorrow.
- Alastair
Call me 'w23'
amcclean
Rising Star

bt engineer came to day. checked line etc. and changed d side also went to the exchnage to do some testing. so far so good. time will tell.
podman
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Podman,
I can arrange a returns bag if you want but to be honest you might as well keep the router, it's all accounted for from our side and we won't be asking for the money if you leave within the next 12 months (though obviously we hope you don't!)
Hope that helps,
amcclean
Rising Star

Hi Matt,
though I have no intention of leaving PN at present as I have been here so long. I did not request the router and therefore do not wish to be held accountable by default for it should I choose to leave in the next 12 months.
if you could arrange for the returns bag to be sent I'd be more than happy to return it.
just re-read that if you won't be asking for money if i leave in the next twelve months then I'll hang on to in case I need to provide you with stats in the future.

wlaker23 are you all sorted now. my line appears fixed since the engineer called. hopefully that post has not just jinxed it:-)
podman
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi podman,
The deferred contract isn't on the account Wink You'll be fine to keep that, I can make sure you won't be charged should it come to that. Just let me know if you're thinking of leaving and I'll check the account to make sure.
w23
Pro

Quote from: podman
wlaker23 are you all sorted now. my line appears fixed since the engineer called. hopefully that post has not just jinxed it:-)

No improvement following line test but this has now been escalated properly on my ticket for a REIN investigation, just waiting for BT I guess.
Call me 'w23'
w23
Pro

BT engineer visit for REIN investigation due this morning, still waiting.
Got a BT Speedtest after about 6 attempts.
Call me 'w23'
w23
Pro

Engineer came at 1PM, he agrees it looks like a REIN issue but informs me that a REIN engineer will now need to be booked.
Oh well, at least BT now agree what the problem probably is. Roll_eyes
Call me 'w23'
w23
Pro

Any chance a member of staff could look at my comments on this ticket: #40497666 please, maybe a line test WHILE THE ISSUE IS HAPPENING might shed some light.
See particularly my last but one response.
Thank you,  Alastair.
EDIT - please see attached routerstats CRC error capture from a few minutes ago - beware the timescale changes a bit as I'm now trying to get a full-week trace.
Call me 'w23'
w23
Pro

Bump (sorry).
It would be most helpful if someone could check this wjhile it's actually happening.
Anyone?
Please?
Currently virtually no connectivity while trying to log into my Laptop from work.
Call me 'w23'