Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop of SNR in working hours

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Drop of SNR in working hours

Sorry Spraxyt,  I missed your earlier post about setting up Routerstats properly.  I tried it on the ST585 v6, v7 setting when I installed it and it didn't work - I spent ages checking the stats URL and login details then went off and configured it manually, eventually I set Routerstats to 'Run as Administrator' which solved the problem but I didn't think to go back and try it on the ST585 setting.
Now got a bitloading graph, it will be interesting to see if particular tones are affected when the line problem happens again.  I will take a capture to compare.
I took the risk of restarting the router last night expecting a drop in Sync as it was running with a SNR margin of 4.5, it reconnected with an SNR margin of 7 and a HIGHER sync (over 8500 on a line with a BT estimated speed of 3.5Mb), it has since droped the line once and resynced at 8471 and the margin is still at 7 - who says these Thomson routers are rubbish?Huh
Thank you for your kind assistance.
-  Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

No drop of SNRM (or slowdown) this morning, whatever is causing the problem has either stopped or is not happening today.
Still monitoring.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suppose it's too much to ask that it will stay that way. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though! Smiley
w23
Pro

Thanks Jojo,
currently enjoying an excellent connection (just as well as the whole family are ill with some virus so my bandwidth usage will be higher than normal today).
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Haven't you got antivirus? Wink
w23
Pro

Well, back to 'normal' this morning, the only difference being since a couple of router restarts I'm now dropping margin from a higher starting point (7-7.5dB) so it's dropping to about 3dB which means the line is not as bad as when it was dropping to 1.5dB.
Pages slow to load again, broadband speedtest stops before completion (see attachment)
Call me 'w23'
w23
Pro

While typing the above, speedtest did complete:
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi walker23,
I'll be interested to see what the faults team make of it. In the meantime I'll email BT and get them to check to VP.
Jojo Smiley
w23
Pro

Thanks Jojo.
Spraxyt suggested monitoring bitswaps, here's a graph for the last 75 minutes
Call me 'w23'
PamWest
Grafter

Hi - how did you get Bitswaps/Time to work on your Routerstats plz, I can't seem to see any results on mine 😞 - got RouterStats v6.6 running
w23
Pro

Hi PamWest,
I configured Routerstats to use Thomson ST585 v6, v7 (though I'm using a TG585 v8), I then just copied the 'stats' page URL (http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0) into the relevant box, ticked the 'Login' box, entered 'admin' for the username and the password that came with the router 'CP....' and clicked 'Apply and Save'.  The only other thing is to ensure that Routerstats 6.6 is set to run as administrator (this probably only applies on Vista and Windows 7 - I'm using Windows 7).
Hope that helps.
I must acknowledge Spraxyt for help in pointing me to using the ST585 v6, v7 setting.
Call me 'w23'
carrot63
Grafter

@Walker23
Your SNR plots look very familiar  Sad . I had a similar problem on a larger scale last year (18db daily SNR drop with accompanying low rate resyncs) that followed similar patterns; daytime working hours, started later at weekends, SNR dropped over half an hour but came back up in an instant,  just as you described. I had it down as a REIN issue, not least as my radio tuned to @Spraxyt's suggested 612 would start howling as it kicked off. Very, very hard to PN faults/BT to accept it as such, although the engineers did eventually do so (but not the faults dept) and tracked it to a rough area that still comprised 200 or so properties. At this point they said "not much we can do guv". Fortunately whatever was causing it intermittently got better and finally disappeared about 2 months and 12 engineers appointments after starting.
I'd very strongly suggest trying as @Spraxyt suggested, and keeping an AM radio on over the period you expect this to kick off/drop - the BT REIN chaps only use an AM radio with a meter attached in any case to track the source (no directional antenna  Cry ). It was suggested to me that the interference could be back toward the exchange (as you mentioned) and the line itself was acting as a transmitting antenna, which is why I could hear it on the radio.
If it is REIN, I'm afraid you'll really have to persevere to get BT to take it seriously, particularly without corroborating reports in the area.
w23
Pro

Thanks Mark,
at least I know I'm probably barking up the right tree.
-  Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
PamWest
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Hi PamWest,
I configured Routerstats to use Thomson ST585 v6, v7 (though I'm using a TG585 v8), I then just copied the 'stats' page URL (http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0) into the relevant box, ticked the 'Login' box, entered 'admin' for the username and the password that came with the router 'CP....' and clicked 'Apply and Save'.  The only other thing is to ensure that Routerstats 6.6 is set to run as administrator (this probably only applies on Vista and Windows 7 - I'm using Windows 7).
Hope that helps.
I must acknowledge Spraxyt for help in pointing me to using the ST585 v6, v7 setting.

Guess what,  after the upgrade of my router by the PN team, I've just got ALL my stats back once again.. Smiley  .............. imo these guys are the best in the world for support issues, better than ANY off-shore support - who only seem to concentrate in filling in forms - and resolving problems - and it's great me being able to remote access onto my Media center again and also be able to print to my wireless printer again Smiley
w23
Pro

Quote from: PamWest
PN team............. imo these guys are the best

I agree there, especially if you use the Forums too and catch the attention of certain members of staff.  This is the main reason that I'd be very reluctant to ever leave PN. Cool
Call me 'w23'