cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in connection speed. Single WAN only.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop in connection speed. Single WAN only.

A few days ago I lost both connections but when they came back on line I had lost some speed on the second WAN, I dropped the connection yesterday to see if it would reconnect at the same speed as the other, but no luck. I don't really know what most of this stuff means but I suspect someone out there does.
Is there anything I can do to get my speed back or is this a support issue?
7 REPLIES 7
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Drop in connection speed. Single WAN only.

Are the Noise Margin and Attenuation columns transposed?    Attenuation 26, Noise Margin 6 sounds more likely than the other way round.    Do you know what caused the drop?  I would suggest raising a fault with Plusnet, get them to check the line.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that I can't tell you, but due to the different BIOS version numbers of the Modems I would suspect not as they are both quite different and quite high so something this obvious should have been fixed. It may be coincidence but the router log reported this :
[WEB]Dynamic DNS Setup> Force Update
And whenever this appears in the logs the connection(s) is / are restarted.
I'm using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think that might be a side issue. That looks to me like the router finding that the connection has a different IP address, and therefore updating your dynamic DNS service, ie an effect of the drop rather than a cause.
What I'd do, I know it's a pain but raise a fault with Plusnet because if the line's suddenly running slower then either something's changed on the line (like a fault), or something's changed in Plusnet's settings for your account.  Do you have a screenshot of that data from earlier, when they were both running full speed?  Off the top of my head I would have said that your WAN 2 should be faster, if those figures mean what I think they mean.
Post on here if Plusnet's response doesn't make sense to you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I'll call in to faults in the morning, don't want to waste my evening. But I do have static IPs on both WANS and I don't have or use DDNS.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called support this morning and spoke to Simon, who was exceedingly helpful. I have high SNRs on both my lines so getting them reset to see if this 'cures' the issue so we'll see what the result is I guess later tomorrow.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did as I was asked and shutdown and restart the router (off in total for about 20 mins), however on re-connecting the sync speed is as I would expect but the SNR on both lines seems to be too high. Does anyone have any thoughts?
The Modems and Router are mounted in a 19" Rack but I don't think this should have any significance on the SNR, but just thought I'd mention it as I don't know any better.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Both lines are syncing at 8128 which is the max for 20CN so I wouldn't worry about the SNR.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team