cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in broadband speed

Kathleen0

Drop in broadband speed

I have been using Plusnet for years now.  Up until the end of last year I was getting download speeds of around 7Mbps, but since January I have been getting speeds of around 4.5 Mbps.  I have checked servers and I am apparently getting the best speed available.  Nothing has changed in my setup, so what has caused this?

4 REPLIES 4
Rossco72
Dabbler

Re: Drop in broadband speed

I wish I could give you a solution, but only empathy, I have the exact same problem, was 14mbps, now 6mpbs.

Weeks of efforts and an engineer visit and no real progress I'm afraid.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Kathleen and welcome to the community forums.

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues. Checking your connection I can see the speed we were getting to your router previous was 7.3Mbps and now we are getting 4.9Mbps. It's still within the lines estimates however as they are
3 to 7.5Mbps so could be more customers connected to your cabinet or the line quality dropping although it's showing green.

I'd recommend then to run through some checks you side to rule a few things out your side as although you've changed nothing it could be something internal that's causing the drop.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the drops and buffering stop. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

Let us know how you get on.
Kind regards,

Ben

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Rossco77, sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

You're issue is very similar as we are getting 6.3Mbps to the router with previous speeds showing 12.4 and I imagine then higher if our tests went further back historically. There's nothing this side that's showing out of place or hints of what could cause the drop in speed so I'd recommend running through some checks your side to rule a few things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the drops and buffering stop. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

Let us know how you get on.
Kind regards,

Ben

Rossco72
Dabbler