Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in broadband speed, now only getting 289KB/S

FIXED
Yarm
Dabbler

Drop in broadband speed, now only getting 289KB/S

Ive just transfered over from BT and I used to get 470KB/S and it stayed like that for over a year, but now its dropped right down to 289KB/S which is a massive percentage!

I used to get nearly 5000 kbit/s line speed on my DSL status and this has dropped to 3000 kbit/s.

The downstream attenuation is 50db and line length is about 3.5 miles and according to http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-line-loss-distance my old speed is about right.

I'm wondering if my old (TP-Link) router was creating errors and the line needs re-training so I've just bought a new router (Linksys X6200) would you be able to put my line back into the inital 10 day training/conditioning mode?

23 REPLIES 23
Yarm
Dabbler

Re: Drop in broadband speed, now only getting 289KB/S

I am dissapointed that no one has had the courtesy to get back to me on this.

nicebutdim
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Dude, I've been waiting 8 days now for an acknowledgement.

Perhaps they're out being 'yorkshire' somewhere...

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Yarm

Unfortunately there is absolutely no guarantee that you will receive help from a staff member on these forums.

I would always phone in if I had an issue that only staff could deal with. There is also the chat facility too.

If you want to contact them in other way then Facebook is more public but the staff that monitor it are the same staff as monitor this forum.

The mission statement from these forums (which you see before you log in) says it all 

We're a friendly bunch of Plusnet customers helping each other out, answering questions and talking about everything under the sun from broadband to what we're having for breakfast.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nicebutdim
Dabbler

Actually, I was referring to my ticket.

8 days and counting.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

They can't still be having breakfast, surely?

Seriously, as it is now the weekend I guess you will have to wait till Monday for a member of staff. Sad

nicebutdim
Dabbler

Interestingly, I've been investigating UK ISP complaints and PN's rate is pretty shocking.

While I don't think any service can be 100% perfect, it's their response to faults/complaints that's telling: Something that at which PN seemingly is very poor.    

My rural location is a bit of a problem for some ISPs, but I'm gonna have to switch to a more responsive ISP,

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Hi there @Yarm

I'm sorry to hear you're getting slower speeds with us. I've tested your line, seeing your router is in sync at 3136 kbps but there's a BRAS profile at 2500 kbps which would be capping the connection.

I've just reset your line now, please could you reboot your router in about/at least 4 hours time and see how it goes over the next 24 hours? (This is an SNR reset so it'll begin the usual 10 day training period)

I've also noticed a high amount of errored seconds on the upstream which is usually indicative of a router fault. I'd probably advise to try a different router, if you can.

My test results below:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 36.5 0
SNR Margin: 13.7 15.5
Errored Seconds: 900 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 43076 636811
Speed: 448 3136

I hope this helps, but if there's anything further I can help with please just let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Yarm
Dabbler

Its much better now thanks! I'm getting 518KB/S which is faster than its ever been, i'll keep checking it over the next few days and see if it stays fast.

I know it dosent sound much but that sligtly faster speed makes a heck of a difference when watching online video and catchup.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesomeness, that's good to hear. Aye, I appreciate at a low line speed every KB counts.

Any further problems just let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Telecom_Green
Dabbler

BTW, are you in the TS-postcode area?  I'm just curious how far you are from the exchange.  I am an independent engineer in Eaglescliffe, and it's good to build a picture of who gets what speed where locally. 

Yarm
Dabbler

@Anoush

Im sorry to say that its dropped back down again, it has been steadily going down every day and now im back where i started.

Please can you tell me the current line readings and give me some suggestions?

Does an engineer need to inspect my line? I know when it went in there was some trouble with an underground joint.

This was on my new router, it seems to be doing the same as my old router.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@Yarm - Just testing your line again. There are still a very high amount of errored seconds on the upstream and the MTBE indicates the line is erroring every second.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 36.5 0
SNR Margin: 14.8 12.5
Errored Seconds: 900 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 820 5408
Speed: 448 3616

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 288 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 288
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 17251 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2212
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1

I'd advise to try plugging your router into the test socket (if you haven't already and if you can), explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

After that, probably best to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and let us know once you've done it I'll push it through to our suppliers for further investigation.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

That table looks like the titles are shifted, but if I read it correctly it's showing a downstream noise margin of 12dB, which will be slowing you down considerably.  Prior to the reset it was 15dB, even worse.    The reset will have put it back to 6dB, and to full speed, but the sort of error rate you're seeing means it has just slowed down again automatically.   This on 20CN I guess?  

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yeah, the formatting isn't great. Should bypassing the internal wiring, if possible, doesn't help then I think an engineer is the next step. It is a 20CN circuit too.