cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop alot

citadel

Drop alot

My connection to plusnet keeps dropping in the evenings or over night (it is fine during the day).  I can often solve the problem by rebooting the ADSL router, so that it reconnects to plusnet.
Has anyone else had this problem?
It happens any time of night, so does not seem related to peak time usage, but seems to only happen when it is dark. 
Can street lights cause noise?  Maybe I would be better off with a slower connection?
7 REPLIES 7
billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Drop alot

There are so many things that it could be.
When you say at night, is it between certain fixed hours of the day, or are you taking sun-set to sun-rise which at present is a period growing shorter by the day?
Have you tried running from the master telephone socket to try and eliminate at much of the internal house wiring as possible?
Do you notice noise on your telephone line during this period?
Graham_W
Dabbler

Citadel said "Can street lights cause noise?  "
Yes they  can especially when lighting up. Also the radio signals from LF broadcast station can increase in strength in the evenings/night. One remedy (it worked for me) is to pull the bell wire out of terminal 3 in the back of the master socket. This stops it acting as an aerial and picking rubbish and causing loss of sync and the exchange therefore to think it has given you a speed your sytem can't sustain. Worth a try.
By the way, welcome to the Community site!
citadel

Thanks for the welcome  Smiley
It does look like the problem occurs when it is dark, and I don’t recall having this problem when I had a 2MB link.  I now have about 5MB download speed.  So I am guessing it is line noise.
I will try and narrow down the problem.
Thanks again guys.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Make sure you raise a ticket about it as well.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
headache56

I regularly get this probelm and rebooting my router modem fixes it.  PlusNet are unable to reconise this as a probelm and they are adamant that I have (for example ) had unbroken connection for 7 days (though I have had perhaps 2 connection drop offs per day during that time).
I am getting my home wiring checked out, will buy a new router modem and, if that fails, change ISP.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Once you have tried changing router and have ensured that you are connected directly to your master socket via changed filters with all other sockets filtered, we can indeed raise a fault to BT Wholesale.  The problem is that if they are unable to identify a fault then this will cause the investigation to delay and may not result in a resolution.
If you are connecting for periods of that length, we may not be able to get much out of BT unless they investigate the fdault during a period of time when you have a number of dropouts.
Needless to say, I am genuinely sorry that this is causing an issue for you.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Your phone line isn't an overhead line is it?
Mine is and SNRs go bad after dark. I used to have a 1MB fixed rate and moved to Max but it was, as James can confirm, a disaster with SNRs of 0dB at night. So I moved back onto a fixed 1MB line.
When I migrated over to Plusnet from Metronet I got put onto a fixed 2MB line and its pretty stable (drops maybe 2/3 times a month max) and I get solid download speeds - which I didn't on Max.