Dreadful speed

richandsian
Grafter

Dreadful speed

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed3168 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation51.0 db30.5 db
Noise Margin2.8 db18.0 db

My internet connection's been awful recently. Seem to get a lot of line noise too on the phone. The downstream speed at this point in time is relatively high though you wouldn't know it from using the connection. Is the downstream noise margin here a strong indicator of what the problem is?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Dreadful speed

If you get line noise on the phone when the router isn't connected and you are using the test socket then you should report it to your phone supplier and don't mention broadband
The fact that you get noise on the phone indicates a line fault which will intermittently cause your sync speed to drop which will muck up your IP profile
richandsian
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
report it to your phone supplier and don't mention broadband

What a sorry state of affairs we're in!
I did go to report it earlier and, typically, the line noise stopped, I went back and the same reading was up at 8db but dropped again by the time I posted this. I'm wary that BT might charge me a call out fee but I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get them to take a look.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they wont charge for a noisy line fault, but come back here for yhe broadband check, Oldjim can diagnose most, when all checks are done, you wont get charged by BT
Alxns
Grafter

Quote from: richandsian
Quote from: Oldjim
report it to your phone supplier and don't mention broadband

What a sorry state of affairs we're in!
I did go to report it earlier and, typically, the line noise stopped, I went back and the same reading was up at 8db but dropped again by the time I posted this. I'm wary that BT might charge me a call out fee but I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get them to take a look.

IF you have your phoneline with BT they will come out free of charge if theres something wrong with your line
i've maybe had 3 or 4 call outs and a new line fitted in the last 1 years without charge.