cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful internet speed compared to neighbour

kopperdrake
Grafter

Dreadful internet speed compared to neighbour

Hi all - any help on this would be appreciated!
We are a fair distance from the exchange, 4.19km direct and 4.99km by road. After a year and a half of speeds gradually dropping to a place where they've now levelled off, we have an upstream rate of 448Kbps, a downstream rate of 512Kbps, IP Profile of 350Kbps and actual IP throughput was 299Kbps, US Margin of 8, DS Margin of 3, LOS Errors of 6, and a DS and US Line attenuation of 63.
I've just been glad up to now that we can get internet at all, but I've just seen a neighbour's stats for their BT Broadband system, bear in mind they live about 400 yards closer to the exchange. Their upstream rate is around 448Kbps, downstream rate of 1982Kbps, IP Profile is 1500Kbps and actual IP throughput was 1380Kbps.
I guess my question is why, given the small distance, is our downstream so bad in comparison to theirs, and is there anything we can do about it? Would dslMAX or adsl2+ make a difference? We have filters attached, we've removed the faceplate of the phone point and are attached into that, the phone line is new in when we moved in. Would a different modem help? Can we lobby anyone?
16 REPLIES 16
kopperdrake
Grafter

Re: Dreadful internet speed compared to neighbour

To add insult to injury, mybroadbandspeed.co.uk is reporting a download speed of 322Kbps and upload of 374Kbps! Surely the wrong way around! How can a line have such a close rating for UL and DL? I was always under the impression that UL is typically a lot less than the DL?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

With the router attached to the test socket can you post the full stats
The information you gave above doesn't hang together - it is most unlikely that the upstream and downstream attenuation figues would be the same given the different frequency band thay use..Also which router are you using.
Can you get the attenuation/speed/noise margin figures for your neighbours connection
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: kopperdrake
To add insult to injury, mybroadbandspeed.co.uk is reporting a download speed of 322Kbps and upload of 374Kbps! Surely the wrong way around! How can a line have such a close rating for UL and DL? I was always under the impression that UL is typically a lot less than the DL?
That is because of your IPprofile
kopperdrake
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
With the router attached to the test socket can you post the full stats

It's always attached to the test socket.
Not sure if these are what you need but here goes:
System uptime: 214 hours
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 512
US Margin 8
DS Margin 3
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 6
DS Line Attenuation 63
US LIne Attenuation 63
Path Mode Interleaved
Is there anything else you need?

The information you gave above doesn't hang together - it is most unlikely that the upstream and downstream attenuation figues would be the same given the different frequency band thay use..Also which router are you using.

I'm using a D-Link G604T Wireless, though I'm hardwired to it. I also have a Netgear DG834 v2 I can try.
Can you get the attenuation/speed/noise margin figures for your neighbours connection

I can try but it was a BT Home Hub thingie - when I was in the Hub Manager I couldn't see anything along those lines.
Thanks for replying to me Smiley
scootie
Grafter

take it you mean this when you say your allways plugged into the test socket
kopperdrake
Grafter

Hi Asbo Dog - yup, it's been attached to that for about a year, probably longer! There's also a filter attached to that and it's the only phone line for that number.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Do you have another filter you can try
If you try DG834 then you can use Routerstats which has much better diagnostics and logging http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
kopperdrake
Grafter

Cheers Jim, I'll go and try both of those out - I've another filter somewhere around! I'll report back here any changes Smiley
James
Grafter

There's something wrong if your upstream and downstream line attenuation are *both* 63dB.
Can you please try rebooting and see if those figures remain the same?
kopperdrake
Grafter

Hey Jameseh - good to see you on, I'll give it a go tomorrow Smiley
For the record I tried the other modem but I'm not sure if it's me or the modem but couldn't get it working - don't think I was doing anything wrong though, so stuck with the D-Link G604T unless I'm told it's likely to be that in which case I'll get another.
scootie
Grafter

if you cant borrow a router from family, friends then PN may lend you one to test before you go out and buy a new one
kopperdrake
Grafter

Ok - rebooted and US Rate is still 448Kbps but DS Rate is slightly increased to 608Kbps, but US and DS Line Attenuations are both still at 63.
I can't think of anyone who'd be technical enough to let me borrow their modem without blaming me if they can't get connected again afterwards Wink
scootie
Grafter

upstream sync will not go higher than that on adsl without max preminum add on. with max prem that would take it to 832kbps.
if you ask james nicely PN may send you a loan router to try and see if that works better before spending big dollar on new router
kopperdrake
Grafter

Crikey - I'd never even have considered asking to borrow a modem! Is that something you'd do James? I've been a regular customer for a few years now and spread the good word if that counts for anything Wink
hehe!