cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 2830N V1 Speed Problem

SteveBB
Dabbler

Draytek Vigor 2830N V1 Speed Problem

I was with Plusnet but switched to John Lewis BB, but since JL BB is provided by Plusnet I thought I'd seek advice here.

I have been using a Tplink TD-W8970 router but I've not been happy with it's wireless performance, so I bought a second-hand Draytek Vigor 2830N single band router to see if I could get better results.

The Tplink syncs at about 10Mbps and download speed is about 8.3Mbps, but the Draytek only syncs at 5 to 6Mbps and the download speed is worse than the upload! Browsing is like using dial-up.

I've done a lot of research and tried just about everything, including ugrading the firmware and disabling the firewall and WAN2 and WAN3. Everything else has been left unconfigured eg no QoS or bandwith limit.

The only clue I can give is that it is showing a lot of CRC errors, which the Tplink does not. SNR is 3 and attenuation 42 on both.

Any ideas, anybody?

18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Draytek Vigor 2830N V1 Speed Problem

I've used a 2830 V1 for some time, both on ADSL and for the last couple of years on a Fibre connection and had no performance issues.

Two possibilities come to mind regarding your problems:-

1) there are 3 different firmware files available for the 2830, with slightly different modem parameters. You could try the different versions to see if any of them improve matters.

2) seeing as your TP link gave good sync speeds, you could use that as a modem in front of the 2820. That's the same way I currently operate my 2830 on the Fibre connection, I have a tplink td-w9970 in front of it. To do this, set your 8970 in Bridge mode (and turn off wireless), and connect to the WAN port on the 2830. Configure WAN2 on the 2830 for PPPoE with your PN credentials and you should be good to go.

Shout up if you need further info

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveBB
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

1. Presumably you mean 3 versions of the latest firmware, which is 3.8.8.3? I used the one highlighted as "recommended", and assumed the others weren't for the UK. However, I've downloaded the other 2 and they are indeed for the UK, so I shall give them a go.

Which version of firmware are you using?

2. Using the TPlink in front of the Draytek was going to be my next step! In fact I bought it with moving to fibre in mind. I'll give you a shout if I have any problems.

Are you using your 2830 for wireless because it is better at it than your td-w9970 by any chance?

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Which version of firmware are you using?

The modem code version doesn't matter if the modem isn't being used, as in my case.

Just checked and I'm actually using 3.8.8.2_sb_232201. I seem to recall I looked at 3.8.8.3"change notes and decided there was no reason to upgrade.

In fact I bought it with moving to fibre in mind. 

The 8970 doesn't have a VDSL capable modem, it's ADSL only,  it won't work on a fibre connection. You need the 9970 or 9980 for Fibre.

Are you using your 2830 for wireless because it is better at it than your td-w9970 by any chance?

I'm using it because it does other things I use, like VPN tunneling, wireless scheduling, ability to set DNS servers. Basically it's a very good,reliable router. TBH I've never used the 9970 as anything other than a modem. I was originally using the 2830 on ADSL and wanted to continue with it when I upgraded to fibre. Since it isn't VDSL capable I needed a VDSL modem. The 9970 has  good VDSL modem performance and was reasonably priced. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveBB
Dabbler

Firmware - I have now tried v2830sb_3883_232201 (Recommended), v2830sb_3883_211801 and v2830sb_3883_2471201.

All seem to give the same poor performance, although there may have been a marginal difference with 211801. It kept dropping the line though so was useless, but I at least managed to do a speed test with it, which returned 1.5Mbps. Maybe I'll try 3.8.8.2 and see what happens.

Fibre - I meant I would use the ISP's modem and the Draytek as a wireless router!

So I am now stumped. Funny thing is Google loads quite quickly, as does a Google search, but getting to a website takes forever; it's almost as if there is a DNS problem.

Other forums have mentioned playing about with switching bandwith limit and QoS on and off, but that didn't seem to help the people with the problem. I don't really understand how they work anyway.

Maybe I've just got a faulty unit!

Thanks for your time.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fibre - I meant I would use the ISP's modem

ISP's no longer provide the BT modem for Fibre. For instance, PlusNet now provide the Hub One which is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5a, but it cannot be configured in modem only mode I'm afraid.

Other forums have mentioned playing about with switching bandwith limit and QoS on and off,

Turn Qos off for starters.

So I am now stumped. Funny thing is Google loads quite quickly, as does a Google search, but getting to a website takes forever; it's almost as if there is a DNS problem.

Are you using the PN configured DNS servers ? IF so try changing them to the OpenDNS ones and see if it makes any difference.

TBH , given that your TP link seemed to give pretty good ADSL sync I'd try that in modem mode in front of the Draytek (assuming you don't mind having 2 boxes) . IIRC when I switched to the Draytek on ADSL ( from a BT Business hub aka 2700HGV ) the sync did drop a little.

SteveBB
Dabbler

Are you using the PN configured DNS servers ? IF so try changing them to the OpenDNS ones and see if it makes any difference.

I'll certainly try that.

TBH , given that your TP link seemed to give pretty good ADSL sync I'd try that in modem mode in front of the Draytek (assuming you don't mind having 2 boxes) . IIRC when I switched to the Draytek on ADSL ( from a BT Business hub aka 2700HGV ) the sync did drop a little.

It seems Draytek are more reknowned for router functionality rather than modem speed, although I have seen it suggested that the modem will "train up" and the sync speed will increase over time. But of course the download speed has to be usable in the first place, which in my case it isn't. 

I'm going to try using the TP Link as a modem only, in front of the Draytek. Do I have to factory reset it, or is it just a case of re-running "Quick Setup" and selecting bridge mode? Presumably the LAN sockets 2 to 4 will be unusable, and everything else have to be plugged into the Draytek?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

'm going to try using the TP Link as a modem only.. Do I have to factory reset it, or is it just a case of re-running "Quick Setup" and selecting bridge mode? Presumably the LAN sockets 2 to 4 will be unusable, and everything else have to be plugged into the Draytek?

Although probably not necessary , I would factory reset it. You're right, just use quick setup and bridge mode. I"d also  turn off wireless since it will only cause possible interference with the draytek. LAN ports 2 -4 cannot be used for internet access, so you're right, everything must be plugged into the draytek. The ports can be used for local access to the Tplink for any further configuration or to look at DSL stars for instance.

SteveBB
Dabbler

HI, I wonder if you could help me out further.

I tried the Draytek with OpenDNS which worked much better, but I'm still not getting the sync/download speeds I get with the TP Link.

So I put the TP Link into bridge mode, and it seems to connect OK. I connected the WAN2 port on the DrayteK to LAN1 on the TP Link and configured the WAN2 port PPPoE with my PN credentials. The WAN2 port lights activate so I assume the cable is OK, but it won't connect to the internet.

Is there some other configuration to be done, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'll certainly help if I can. However I'm in the office at the moment so can't look at my Draytek config.

What you've done sounds correct but I did find this https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75222-Urgent-help-setting-up-Bridge-Mode-on-TD-W8970 which may be of use.

When I get home I'll check my Draytek config and post back.

SteveBB
Dabbler

What you've done sounds correct but I did find this https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75222-Urgent-help-setting-up-Bridge-Mode-on-TD-W8970 which may be of use.

Thanks, I thought that was it but still no go.

I wasn't plugged into LAN1 on the TP Link at all, it was LAN4. Thing is, there was a brige (br_8_35_1) already configured and mapped to LAN4, so I deleted it and created a new bridge with the correct VPI/VCI parameters and this was automatiically mapped to LAN4 in the interface grouping by default. Definitely plugged into LAN4, but that doesn't work. Perhaps I shouldn't have deleted the br_8_35_1, although I can't imagine what it's used for.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hi, I've attached my Draytek WAN2 config screen if it helps. You do have WAN1 disabled I assume ?

Regarding the TP link config , is there still a PPPoE interface shown on the interface grouping ? If so make sure that's deleted.

I'd go and look at my Tplink but I don't think it would help , 1) its a 9970 and 2) it's a VDSL connection

SteveBB
Dabbler

"Hi, I've attached my Draytek WAN2 config screen if it helps. You do have WAN1 disabled I assume ?"

Thanks, mine is the same. I did disable it at one stage, but don't really see why it needs to be because of the router's failover/failback capability.

Regarding the TP link config , is there still a PPPoE interface shown on the interface grouping ? If so make sure that's deleted.

Pretty sure there wasn't, will check tomorrow.

I'd go and look at my Tplink but I don't think it would help , 1) its a 9970 and 2) it's a VDSL connection

I don't think it would help either, but I'm fairly convinced the problem is with the TP Link. Perhaps I need to check other things on it like DCHP and the firewall.

I'm amazed this is proving so difficult! Thanks for your help, anyway.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Perhaps I need to check other things on it like DCHP and the firewall.

None of those should be relevant in bridge mode.

I did disable it at one stage, but don't really see why it needs to be because of the router's failover/failback capability.

You're right, it shouldn't be a problem but if enabled  it's going to be constantly trying to establish a connection and is just something else to get in the way. In fact on my setup I also run 'adsl idle' from the telnet CLI to stop the DSL port constantly trying to sync and flashing the DSL led.

but I'm fairly convinced the problem is with the TP Link.

I'll go with that, it doesn't seem to be properly in bridge mode. With my 9970 it was simple, just select the ISP , ADSL or VDSL and set bridge mode, done! Worked first time both in ADSL ( I tested it on ADSL prior to the fibre upgrade ) and VDSL.

L

Tags (1)
SteveBB
Dabbler

It's just occurred to me! The ip addresses of the TP Link and Draytek are the same - 192.168.1.1. That would cause a conflict, wouldn't it?