Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 120 disconnecting every hour

rotty
Grafter

Re: Draytek Vigor 120 disconnecting every hour

I already had ports 110 and 143 open.
I did get some sleep but just as I was nodding off I remembered that I'd turned on the Synology NAS's firewall a while back!! But I had to be up at 5am so have to leave it now until the weekend.
Rotty
dick:quote
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

as I was nodding off I remembered that I'd turned on the Synology NAS's firewall a while back!!
It sounds like you are trying to hit a moving target!  Changing too much, too quickly, which is what it looks like to me, you end up swapping one set of problems for another set of problems.  The Devil's in the detail as they say.
Get yourself a big piece of paper, plan your network and get one thing working at a time, is my advice.
rotty
Grafter

Get yourself a big piece of paper, plan your network and get one thing working at a time, is my advice.

Very sensible advice mssystems.
My problem is I only have a short 'time-slot' due to that fact that I work away from home all week and the fact that I have a family of internet junkies.
But that's no excuse for lack of planning
Think I might go for a local network with a class A (10.XXX.XXX.XXX) scheme and write it all down, that way I can be sure there are no left-overs from my class C (192.168.x.x) scheme.
Rotty
rotty
Grafter

I'm fairly sure that the problem I have in not being able to see my Synology NAS externally is the fact that the internal firewall is enabled.
The last time I had it working was when I used the Vigor 120 and Vigor 2130n. The 2130n I had DMZ enabled for the NAS's IP address!!
Steve - can you have a DMZ-dedicated interface with pfSense in the same way as with Smoothwall?
Rotty
stephenw10
Rising Star

Yes.
I have 10 interfaces on my box! Though I'm only using 7 of them (and most of those just because I can!).
You can configure each of them however you like.
Steve
rotty
Grafter

I've been reading up on both pfSense and Smoothwall again and I think I'm leaning towards the latter.
It's simple, like me  Cheesy
Also, I had it working before but as it turns out the problems at the time were due to my old V120. Now that's replaced everything should be fine.
All I need to do is get the scrabble board out for the rest of the family and set aside half a day to do it all - after planning everything of course.  Wink
Rotty
mssystems
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: rotty
It's simple, like me

As your V120 is working and your 2130 is working, have you thought about dumping the dedicated firewall?
As far as I can see, plugging the V120 into the 2130's WAN port would be the simplest method of provisioning your requirements.
All I need to do is get the scrabble board out for the rest of the family and set aside half a day to do it all - after planning everything of course.  Wink

LOL.  I can assure you my typical small business customer is no less intolerant of down time...Or paying an out of hours premium for that matter.
Make your mistakes on paper, in slow time, never on the customer premises, is my motto Wink
rotty
Grafter

As your V120 is working and your 2130 is working, have you thought about dumping the dedicated firewall?
As far as I can see, plugging the V120 into the 2130's WAN port would be the simplest method of provisioning your requirements.

Yes, in principle you're right, but.......
That's how I had the system for a number of days and was working perfectly before it went down.
The 2130n had lost it's settings again and I was unable to connect over either LAN or Wi-Fi.
Last time this happened I had to reflash the firmware. This particular 2130 has been back to Draytek twice and still has the fault.
However, I'm not too upset as last time it sent it back I demanded a refund, which I have now received, but then Draytek sent the router back as well saying it was fixed!
So you see it's not working nor does it technically belong to me - hence the new solution.
I'm expecting Draytek to ask for it back any day!
If my family are customers maybe I should charge my wife and children for the privalage of having their network fixed?!?  Grin

stephenw10
Rising Star

If my family are customers maybe I should charge my wife and children for the privalage of having their network fixed?!?  Grin

Good luck with that!  Grin
rotty
Grafter

All working perfectly  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cool
Got up early this morning and stripped down the whole system.
Made final adjustments to my network plan,  took a note of all the MAC addreses and set IPs where required to my new 10.x.x.x scheme.
I'd re-installed Smoothwall the night before so all I had to do was plug it in and do the final config.
Within an hour had the basic network working over wi-fi.
Took a bit longer to setup the printers and NAS with all the port forwarding settings.
After a month of email and web servers up and down I finally have a reliable system - fingers crossed  Wink
So it was all caused by a faulty Draytek Vigor 120 modem, faulty Draytek 2130n router and a dodgy network cable.
Many thanks to everyone who suggested various things along the way  Smiley
Special thanks to mssystems for suggesting I make a plan and take a methodical approach.
Now the sun is shining so I'm going to have a beer or three to celebrate.
Then going out tonight with Mrs Rotty for a slap-up meal to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary.
Rotty
P.S. The family are refusing to pay up!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Congratulations
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mssystems
Aspiring Pro

Glad to hear you got it all working.
You were rather unlucky to experience simultaneous hardware faults.  You might want to think about fitting a surge supressor on the plug socket your modem is plugged into.
I have had some issues with Draytek kit at the cheaper end of the price list but it's all been firmware.  Missing features, not behaving as documented, that sort of thing.
If you are ever drawn down the single box route again, I would recommend the DrayTek 2820.  I am current trying out a 2830, which is very good but lacks a 1:1 NAT mapping feature.
For everything else, there is IPTABLES Wink
Hope the anniversary went well.
rotty
Grafter

Had a fantastic meal with Mrs Rotty - thanks mssystems.
But my unlucky streak wasn't finished!!!!
The system had been running for a day and a half no problems, then just as I was watching the end of the Canadian Grand Prix my yougest son announced "The Internet's gone off!!".
I fired up my laptop - no wireless, so I went to my WinXP desktop that's wired via the switch to the smoothie green network. The LAN appeared to be down!!  Angry
Next I plugged my laptop into green socket on the back of the Smoothie PC - all showed as fine.
I'd noticed earlier that the poor little Belkin 8-port switch was running a bit warm so I checked and it was very hot. I unplugged it and has a sniff - oh the sweet smell of toasted silicon!!!
Luckily I had a spare Netgear 4-porter so I substitited it and all up and running fine again.
Just no printer connectivity over LAN, so I setup one of them on wireless.
However, all this meant I missed Jenson overtaking and winning the grand prix  Sad
Went to PC-World first thing this morning a bought a 16-port Netgear 10/100/1000Mb switch.
I was using 7 of the 8-ports of the Belkin and it was obviously too much for it!!!
I trust Netgear, certainly for wired stuff anyway.

Hopefully, that's the last of it!!  Roll_eyes
P.S. I've setup my spare TG585v8 in PPPoE bridge mode, so if the V120 goes screwy I have a replacement. Many thanks to Matt for supplying the tcl file.
stephenw10
Rising Star

However, all this meant I missed Jenson overtaking and winning the grand prix  Sad

Epic win! Or should that be fail?  Roll_eyes
Steve
rotty
Grafter

Just installed the 16-port switch and have the V120 going through a surge suppressor socket adapter.
All my other equipment - switch, access point and PCs are all surge protected.
Should keep going for a few years now without any problems.
This last week has been fine.
Rotty  Grin