Ok, my money's on:
We were unable to find a fault with the unit

Or something to that affect.
Good Luck!
Steve
rotty
Grafter

Re: Draytek Vigor 120 disconnecting every hour

If that's the case and it's still giving me grief I may have to reach for my precision percussionary calibration device Cheesy
At least then it may be useful as a door stop  Cheesy
rotty
Grafter

Steve,
We both lost that bet!
Here's their reply.
This email is to let you know that the service centre has completed
service on your product and it is being sent back to :
stephenw10
Rising Star

I wonder if they actually did anything then?  Roll_eyes
Steve
rotty
Grafter

No idea.
I've just got it back from them.
They've also sent a new PSU.
No explanation, nothing.
Haven't tried it yet.

rotty
Grafter

I didn't get around to trying the modem at the weekend but when I took it out of the jiffy bag there was a small slip of paper I hadn't noticed before.
It said they they had found and verified the original fault and the modem in the bag was a replacement.
They had also sent a new PSU.
No detailed explination, but at least they admitted it was faulty.
So, Steve, we were both wrong!  Roll_eyes
Got a long weeked coming up so will try it then  Grin
Ian
stephenw10
Rising Star

Well I'm happy to be wrong on this occasion.  Roll_eyes
Let's hope it works.
Steve
rotty
Grafter

Finally got around to trying the replacement V120 at the weekend.
Disconnected the trusty Linksys WAG160N that's been working fine for the last two weeks or so.
Connected up the V120 and connected it's WAN output to the Smoothwall PC.
The V120 is by the front door about 8in from the master socket, connected by about 10in of CAT6 (as was the WAG160N).
The Smoothwall PC is upstairs on the landing, so I have a 10m network cable between the two.
It's the same cable that I've been using for two weeks between the WAG160N and Belkin N router (used in wireless access point mode only). This gives me Wi-Fi throughout the whole house (not just in the street out front!!).
However, after connecting to the Smoothwall PC I couldn't get a connection using PPPoE at all. Tried the V120 in PPPoA and PPPoE but still no connection.
Next I connected the V120 to my wife's Vista PC and set up a PPPoE connection. This worked perfectly for nearly two hours with no disconnections! Looks like the new V120, and it's new PSU, works!!
Tried the Smoothwall PC again, no luck. Checked, re-checked and triple-checked the settings. Nothing!!  Sad
By this time the family had woken up and were having severe internet withdrawl symptoms, so I to keep the peace I put the Linksys back and when and made some coffee.
Half an hour later the  Linksys still hadn't connected. Several re-boots, nothing.
Took the Linksys off the wall and plugged it into my laptop. All the settings looked fine but the unit was now making a horrble squeeling noise!!!  Seems the WAG160N has finnally snuffed it!! Great, I thought now I have nothing that works and my adoring family going cold turkey and demanding "when are we going to get internet??".
Then I realised I had the Draytek 2130n router. This was the router that had been sent back to Draytek due to losing settings. It had been returned to them a second time for a refund, but the had sent it back with message "component replaced" but also "fault not found"! Plugged in the V120 again and wired it up to the 2130n. Within 5mins had all working pefectly, port-forwarding to my NAS with email and web servers, the lot!
On ripping out the cable that connected the modem to the Smoothwall PC I found that it had a couple of very nastly twists in it. Checked it against my laptop and the smoothwall PC and it was clearly damaged. Tried another cable and that was fine.
So, in summary:
1. My trusty Linksys WAG160N finally gave up (it is about 3-4 yrs old)
2. Damaged network cable
3. Draytek Vigor 120 and 2130n both fixed.
4. Draytek are back in my "good books" - for now  Wink
Now can finally put this post to bed - hopefully  Wink
Ian
stephenw10
Rising Star

A good result then.  Smiley
Could you tell us which firmware your 'new' modem is running for future reference.
Steve
rotty
Grafter

Not back home 'till Thursday now, but will do Steve.
I'm a firm believer in posting a full and proper solution on a forum. Nothing worse than a fizzled-out problem or someone just saying "the problem just went away" (code for I was an idiot [I could use much stronger language here!] and don't want to embaress myself by telling the entire world I did something stupid like forgot to switch it on at the wall!!).
So, yes, when I get home I'll get the firmware version for both the V120 and the 2130n then post them here.  Smiley
Just need an automatic switch to switch the WAN connection over from the V2130n to the Smoothwall PC now in case the V2130n decides to become forgetful again and lose all it's settings!!  Everyone should have a dual-redundant broadband system  Wink
I originally chose the 2130n because it supports USB mobile broadband dongles and automatically switches over (so they say).
Ian
stephenw10
Rising Star

Quote from: rotty
Everyone should have a dual-redundant broadband system  Wink

I quite agree!  Wink
I originally chose the 2130n because it supports USB mobile broadband dongles and automatically switches over (so they say).

pfSense 2.0 supports that. You know you want it.  Grin
Steve
WWWombat
Grafter

I'm a firm believer in posting a full and proper solution on a forum. Nothing worse than a fizzled-out problem or someone just saying "the problem just went away" (code for I was an idiot [I could use much stronger language here!] and don't want to embaress myself by telling the entire world I did something stupid like forgot to switch it on at the wall!!).

I agree with this - even if you ended up having most of the conversation with yourself. Google will find your posts for years to come, and you never know when the answer could come in useful to someone else...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
rotty
Grafter

I agree with this - even if you ended up having most of the conversation with yourself. Google will find your posts for years to come, and you never know when the answer could come in useful to someone else...

Well said WWWombat  Wink
Steve - I would happily use pfSense if my could just get my ASUS Pundit-S system (bought from Ebay for the Princely sum of £35) to install it without freezing half way through!!  Angry
Also tried IpCop that everyone seems to be banging on about but that won't install on my system either!!  Sad
Ian
stephenw10
Rising Star

I started using Smoothwall when I first realised I'd need something to share my broadband connection (before cheap home routers) and it was the only system that supported the BT Stingray/Frog USB modem. Ah, happy days!
Then I moved to IPCop which I ran for years before deciding I didn't need the  capabilities/expense of a dedicated machine and switched to a home router/modem/wifi all in one unit running routertech firmware (far superior to the original).
Then I had a few problems that I couldn't get a grip on with the limited capability of the router and by that time had a less power hungry box so I tried pfSense and have never looked back!  Smiley
What hardware is in the Pundit? Strange that it wouldn't load IPCop either.
Steve
rotty
Grafter

Steve,
I think, from memory, it's a 2.3 or 2.4GHz processor. It has 1GB RAM and a fairly small HDD.
Will post spec on here when I get back home tomorrow or Friday.
The Pundit was a bare-bones PC with no processor. Here's the link to the basic spec:
http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/P_Series_0811L/Pundit/#CPUS
It's running Smoothwall 3.0 fine at the moment. I have a second Pundit of identical spec. that has WinXP Sp3 on it and runs fine (apart from graphics stuck on 800x600 because there's no ATI Radeon driver for it for XP, only Win2K one that doesn't seem to work).
The built in LAN card is A Realtek RTL81xx and I have a D-Link DFE-530TX in a PCI slot.
I will try pfSense again at the weekend but in the meantime any ideas?
Which version of pfSense do you suggest Steve? Which one do you have installed at the moment 2.0 or 1.2.3? and what's your PC spec?
Ian