cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2850- VDSL/WAN query

chillstar

Draytek 2850- VDSL/WAN query

Had my FTTC installed today and all seems to be going well.
Only issue I've got is that I can't connect my router to the Openreach box. I don't really need to at the moment as the 2850's internal VDSL modem is working correctly, but am unsure how to get the router connected to BT's modem via the router's WAN socket. I'd like the BT modem working in case of issues and to compare speeds with the Draytek.
I've checked the Draytek manual and spent hours searching online, but can't find anything.
In WAN >> General Setup I've enabled WAN2, set it to auto negotiation, enabled VLAN Tag insertion and changed the Tag value to 101.
In WAN >> Internet Access I've enabled the connection & added my username (email) and password.
I've got the CAT5 cable connected to the router's port 4. Tried 3 different cables...
The BT modem sync light flashes, then stays on steady when I connect the RJ11 cable to the phone line.
Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Draytek 2850- VDSL/WAN query

Quote from: chillstar
In WAN >> Internet Access I've enabled the connection & added my username (email) and password.

For internet access you need to supply your broadband username which is username@plusdsl.net with your account password.
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You need to set WAN2 to PPPoE and as spraxt says , use the correct username/password ( the same one as you are using on WAN1 for the VDSL connection ).
You don't need VLAN tag insertion and ID on WAN2, the BT modem will handle that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chillstar

Thanks very much both of you- it was the VLAN Tag Insertion that was messing me up. I disabled that in the dropdown and it connected straight away.
From what I can see so far, down & up seem to be slightly quicker than with the 2850's built in modem. Need to do some more comparisons before I can be sure. Will be annoying if that's the case as I could've stuck with my old 2820... 
pengbo
Grafter

Will be annoying if that's the case as I could've stuck with my old 2820... 

Depends what kind of speed you are getting.  IIRC the 2820's only have a throughput of 50Mbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

. Need to do some more comparisons before I can be sure. Will be annoying if that's the case as I could've stuck with my old 2820...

Let us know how that goes, would be interesting to see.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hepple

Thanks very much both of you- it was the VLAN Tag Insertion that was messing me up. I disabled that in the dropdown and it connected straight away.
From what I can see so far, down & up seem to be slightly quicker than with the 2850's built in modem. Need to do some more comparisons before I can be sure. Will be annoying if that's the case as I could've stuck with my old 2820... 

I've got a 2850vn and I get 23/3.5 using the drayteks own vdsl port but 27/5.7 using the bt modem & pppoe.
Not impressed at with the 2850vn so far and it keeps rebooting.
Logged a call with Draytek so I'll see what they can do.
BikerPa
Grafter

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but having similar difficulties myself here.
FTTC installed using BTOR modem and technicolour modem, which I have swapped to the Draytek 2850N only which I was using previously, & even having done the latest firmwarej upgrade (which included a VDSL modem update) I see significantly slower connection on both the modem stats and running any speedtest. Anyone got any further ahead with this?
So I have decided to connect the Draytek to the BTOR modem using a similar set up as above (WAN2 port4, UN & password set). I am also on a fixed external IP as well, so do I need to set this?
The Draytek gets a PPPoE connection (can see this in the stats), but I cannot browse any web pages.
Now my Drayteks LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 which I wonder is that the same as the BTOR modem?? Obviously the Technicolour router uses 192.168.1.254
So have I got an IP coflict causing the inability to browse?
Any help much appreciated.