Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downtime tonight - 4th Aug

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Downtime tonight - 4th Aug

Shouldn't have to.
Perhaps for the next trial it will be possible to raise tickets that go direct to the team in charge of the trial. Wink

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Shouldn't have to.

Why not, if it's a trial?
Perhaps for the next trial it will be possible to raise tickets that go direct to the team in charge of the trial.

We have separate teams for provisioning, faults and support and certain members of those teams have been trained to deal with the new 21CN service. In addition, once confirmed the tickets are addressed directly to those people.
sputt

I FINALLY got a reply from support yesterday saying "BT have been unable to locate any service faults". This would be because the problem was resolved at the weekend / Monday. Do support not look at  related issues or work that has been carried out on the exchange?
So now have working Internet, but speed is worse than it was before the fault. Used to get a sync speed of 4000 - 6000, yesterday was on 3500, and today looks like it has dropped down to 3000. Have updated my ticket to ask support what can be done to try to increase this.
I would like to have something good to say about 21CN, but it appears it only benefits people who already have a good connection speed.
Up to this fault I have had no issues for the 2 years I have been with PlusNet, and been quite happy. As this is the first time I had to deal with support, I'm sad to say it has not been a pleasant experience. Hopefully I will be back up to speed soon and be a happy surfer again, and not have any issues for at least another 2 years.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sputt,
The best thing to do is reboot the connection once daily, ideally in the morning as initial sync speeds tend to be higher then. This should (provided the line remains stable and synced at a higher speed) uplift the line profile within a couple of days.
VileReynard
Hero

Surely, it's only better to do this (within reason) only if you've experienced a re-sync to a significantly lower speed within the last few days?
(Sufficient to impact negatively on your profile).
Everytime you reboot you are gambling that the connection won't throw a wobbly Smiley

toulouse
Grafter

Hiya,
I'd be inclined to agree with what Crucibleofevil just said about this.
Since last Saturday when my line returned to ADSL2+ speeds in excess of 11000(d)/1100(u) with SNR of 9(d)/6(u), I have rebooted the router each day, very early in the morning. Then totally out of the blue this morning another line 'bounce' and my sync rate went from 11499/1188 to 9648/1169 with SNR of 12/6.
I have had a ticket open since 24 June, 2 BT Openreach engineer appointments, neither of which found anything wrong with my line. Prior to 24 June, I had been on the trial since 1 May and seen sync rates of well into the 12000s.
I just wish someone could explain to me what on earth is wrong with this 21CN/ADSL2+ thingy
TTFN

toulouse
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Surely, it's only better to do this (within reason) only if you've experienced a re-sync to a significantly lower speed within the last few days?

AFAICR we've always recommended doing this during the training period as the DSLAM sets the profile according to initial sync speeds.
Everytime you reboot you are gambling that the connection won't throw a wobbly

Yep. And every time you cross a road you're gambling with your life.
itsme
Grafter

@orbrey
Can you canfirm for those that are on the WBC trial that they are connected to a MSAN and not a DSLAM and the 10 training period is for the MSR and FTR to be set and the profile is just a by product of this as the profile can change after the 10 days but the MSR and FTR can't.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: itsme
Can you canfirm for those that are on the WBC trial that they are connected to a MSAN and not a DSLAM

Yes. Sorry, that was my mistake (though the DSLAM still plays a part in the connection AIUI)
and the 10 training period is for the MSR and FTR to be set

Yes.
and the profile is just a by product of this

Yes.
as the profile can change after the 10 days but the MSR and FTR can't.

That's correct.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Can you canfirm for those that are on the WBC trial that they are connected to a MSAN and not a DSLAM

Yes. Sorry, that was my mistake (though the DSLAM still plays a part in the connection AIUI)

Sort of, this http://www.theitp.org/UserData/root/Files/2007Vol6Prt2_01.pdf explain how DSLAM can be involved but only in relation to FTTC the 21CN trialist I would say are all on MSAN as this is the only option for POTS and BB, refer to figures 2 and 4.
VileReynard
Hero

Since my line has just been sentenced to re-training Crazy
(Actually, I'm rather pleased at getting this). Smiley
I've discovered that a resync - caused by me doing a router reboot bumped the noise margin up and the speed down by 4Kbps.
The noise margin has since been backed off to a current 6.9dB
Notice that the sync speed does not vary, but the noise margin does - even in training Roll_eyes

TonyOCL
Grafter

I understand having to raise a ticket, but still 10 days on all I am gettings in please complete the broadband fault checker.  I tried that and it took me to the last steps saysing replace router and confirm that will fix the problem.
Still since the 4th August outtage my speed is 20-25% less and this fact is being totally ignored.
Am I missing the point?
Thanks
Tony
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Is the speed decrease a sync speed decrease or is the sync high but the throughput low? If it's the throughput then have a look at the slow speed thread I posted on Friday to see if your exchange is on the list.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
sputt

@ TonyOCL. It is very interesting to hear that since the 4th August outage your speed is 20-25% less. I seem to be finding the same thing.
I have left my router on for about 3 days now without rebooting, and have had a connection without dropping of 4400 Sync Speed. But my IP Profile is still on 3000.  I have not been rebooting my router once daily in the morning as previous advised on this forum, as the people working on my support ticket think my connection keeps dropping, and don't seem to be able to progress my ticket until I have had a good connection for about 3 days.
So at the moment when I do a Speed Test, my results are under 3000, before the 4th August outage I used to get over 4000 (around 4500 from what I remember).
I checked the link posted on Friday, and my exchange (Weymouth) is not in the list. Thoughts / input anyone?
sputt

They say a a picture paints a thousand words, so see attached one that quite clearly shows the problem after the 4th Aug Outage. I joined the 21CN trial just after the start of May, and as you can see I did have an improvement to my speed. Still no news back from support, might call chase them up in a bit as my router has now been up without dropping for  4 days 14 hours.