cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloads stop while uploading

inicholson

Downloads stop while uploading

Since changing from Talktalk to Plusnet my broadband service has become very slow at times.  After some investigation I've discovered that the problem is when Onedrive or Googledrive is uploading files my entire connection slows down to the point where it is unusable.
In the case of Google Music I've solved the problem by changing the settings in Google Music Manager to limit upload speed to 128kbps which allows it to upload files (slowly) in the background) without causing any problems.
However, neither Onedrive nor Google Drive (which I want to use to back up my photos) seem to offer any option to do this, so when they're uploading the connection stop for every device in the house.
How can I leave Onedrive and Google Drive to upload files in the background without stopping my connection?  I've tried switching them off and leaving my laptop on overnight but it's inconvenient.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Downloads stop while uploading

Unfortunately that can happen, I've just checked and your upload is uncapped already so I can't give you any faster speeds on it. Personally I used to use a standalone tool on my PC which allowed me to limit any program using the network connection on both the up and download, I can't remember the name of it now though unfortunately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

NetLimiter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
inicholson

Thanks, I guess that would solve my problem. But it seems ridiculous that I have to buy and set up software at $30 per PC when this is an issue that the router shouldn't allow to happen - surely it should be capable of sharing my bandwidth across several devices?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.
How do you expect the router to do this WITHOUT the router having some guidance on your requirements?  QoS on the upload can be configured on many routers, but it is not a straight forward task.  It needs "instruction" on which PCs and / or services should have priority and which should not.  Such requirements will be different for different users.
The products you are using ought to have controls to allow you to specify limits for their upload utilisation - certainly Dropbox does.
HOWEVER general slowness could be something to do with the configuration / operation of the PlusNet connection - possible but not likely.  Can you please post the information requested on the "speed issues thread" link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Other routers seem to do a better job of managing it. I think there have been a few threads where it's become an issue after switching to the latest Plusnet router.