cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloads & Browsing speeds

cs2

Downloads & Browsing speeds

Hi All,
I am a new plusnet bb (unlimited non fibre) user having previously been with sky, BT and o2 for a few years at a time. Having recently joined, bar a few drop outs one night I have had few issues.
However, for my sins I am a heavy downloaded (not p2p - mainly gaming, steam, game files and videos) and I have noticed that if I download say a few files at a time it completely ruins my browser speed (both ie and ff) to the point that it can take a minute or so just to get Google up. Not only this but my wife uses citrix to log into work over VPN from time to time and when I am in a game it introduces really bad lag. When I was with sky this was never an issue so I wondered if anyone had any ideas on the cause, is it traffic mgmt?
I use an Asus router and my PCs are cable connected, the bandwith manager / prioritisation on my router remains unchanged from my days with sky.
So does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and why? Any help would be appreciated as it is starting to irritate me and I am regretting moving.
My line speed is between 8 -15 mb and is currently 19.7mb. I have no issue with the overall speed. I'll try to post more details when I'm not on my tablet.
Cheers
C2
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Downloads & Browsing speeds

My guess is that (as often happens) Plusnet has provisioned you on ADSL2 but has incorrectly capped your upload speed, which can cause the effects you are describing.
What does your modem say your upstream connection speed is ?
What results do you get running the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test ?
Fortunately IF your upload is capped, then a Plusnet staff member will probably read this thread and put it right in the next day or so.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 46

Re: Downloads & Browsing speeds

I don't see how uncapping the upstream will help with an issue browsing whilst downloading but we can uncap that for you and this may help with issues using VPN over the connection.
I've placed an order for that for you which should take effect tomorrow
Re the downstream I've updated the speed profile on your account as this wasn't matched so hopefully that might help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team