cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading via an FTP server

janeybeans
Grafter

Downloading via an FTP server

I have to download files for work via the company's FTP server.  I don't normally have any issues with this but I'm currently trying to download some files (first time since I moved to Plusnet) and it's doing it at a ridiculously slow speed (around 4k per second).  Current broadband speed is around 16-20mb.
What's likely to be causing this?  Is there an issue with downloading via FTP on Plusnet (it's a fibre connection if that makes any difference).
I've got a total of 148mb to download, so it's going to take forever at 4k/s.
Help!
14 REPLIES 14
janeybeans
Grafter

Re: Downloading via an FTP server

According to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml it should be downloading at line speed, should it not?
prichardson
Grafter

On your product, we operate restrictions down to 2Mb/s between 8pm and 10pm only. At all other times, the product is intended to allow upto your lines speed. We also operate external FTP in our Gold queue, so should not be squeezed, certainly at this time of day.
This is however dependent on if you are using normal FTP, or over SSH (SCP or SFTP) or non-standard ports. Things may vary a little then.
Have you use FTP a lot since moving to us? I ask as we have not recorded any external FTP usage.
This may be normal if this is your first use this morning (it simply has not caught up with it yet), but may indicate further issues if you have used FTP prior to today.
We can confirm what is happening if you perform a wireshark capture. Ensure you close the FTP app before starting the capture, so we can capture the correct details.
We only need about 10 seconds worth of data (10 second after the FTP transfer starts).
As this may contain sensitive information, upload the capture and send me the link to it in a Private Message in the forum.
janeybeans
Grafter

This is the first time I've used the FTP since joining Plusnet.  I only do casual work for this company so I've not had to do it until now.
I'll just wait for the first file to finish downloading (it's finally up to 97% and then I'll look at the capture thing.
janeybeans
Grafter

OK, I've opened Wireshark.  Now I'm stuck!
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be capturing?  I can't see FTP, all I can see are:
MS Tunnel Interface Driver
Microsoft
NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver
janeybeans
Grafter

Think I've done it - just going to PM over....
janeybeans
Grafter

After sending the Wireshark capture to support, I've had the following reply back:
"I have looked over your wireshark capture and can see that we have prioritised the traffic correctly according to our network specifications. Please do not hesitate to reply to this ticket if you  are still experiencing issues."
I've just tried the FTP again and it's still only running at 4k/s so where is the problem going to be?  It was fine before we moved to Plusnet (was with BT before).
janeybeans
Grafter

Can anyone help on this please?  I've got a very unhelpful reply back from 'Support' this morning:
"I see that our network team have confirmed that the traffic is being prioritized correctly for your online profile.
The only other option I can offer at this time is to see if the issue is related to an external server, this can be done by using another connection to complete your FTP task.
If the issue is not replicated then, get back to us for further advice, however if the issue can be replicated then there is nothing more that we can offer in the way of support.
I hope this helps move the issue closer to a resolution."
I'm not a computer expert, I have no idea what this means or how to do it. 
I'm using the same connections as I did when I was with BT, that was on a 2mb connection and I was getting far, far higher rates of transfer than the 4k/s I'm getting on a 20mb connection.  So I'm not sure how it's not a Plusnet issue.  I only ever connect to one FTP site, which has not changed, and only ever use the same method of transferring (Filezilla), the settings for which are saved and have not changed.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked in the wireshark trace yourself to see what queue it is in? (http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/ has the instructions)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
janeybeans
Grafter

Right, well this is all gibberish to me but looking at the link you put up and the bit about queues, this says "Here we see the value 0x80 which is Gold traffic and therefore the correct queue for interactive traffic."
When I look at the trace it says 0x00 which obviously isn't the same but I don't know what that means.
Support have just said the traffic is correctly prioritised.

I'm having to download some more stuff on the FTP at the moment, it's going to take an hour and a half to download a 20mb file which shouldn't be right on a 20mb connection. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you looked at a correct packet? The source will be the IP address of the FTP server and the destination will be the local LAN address of your PC (probably 196.168.1.nnn)
janeybeans
Grafter

Sorry, hadn't realised it was different depending on what line you were clicking on.
Clicking on a line that's FTP-DAT it's saying 0x60
Edited to add: so looking at that on the wireshark link, 0x60 would be right, but it doesn't help me work out why it's running so slowly.  I don't understand what 'using another connection' means - I only have one internet connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That sounds right.
Have you been connected continuously since you first noticed this issue? If you have it may be worth seeing if a different Plusnet gateway is better. Go to http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway and note which gateway you are on. Then go in to your router and tell it to disconnect, wait 20 seconds and reconnect, then check which gateway you are on (if you are unlucky you end up on the same one and have to try again). Then see if the FTP is better.
janeybeans
Grafter

That's great, thank you for your help!
I'll give that a try later (don't want to stop this download now it's got so far!)
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
This was never passed to be despite the request to do so, so I am sorry for that.
The response you have been supplied with appears to be inaccurate, but I am investigating the cause of that further.
There are however some possible answers for this. I have asked a couple of questions on your ticket if you can respond to this please.