cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed suddenly dropped by up to 90%

chesterfield
Grafter

Download speed suddenly dropped by up to 90%

I thought I would start my own thread so as not to further clutter others and keep it all in one place - it should then help anyone from PN who wants to help me  Smiley
In short, I moved into a new home about a couple of months ago.  My broadband was activated and I was pleasantly surprised to see I could get a connection quite a lot faster than my previous home.
My DG834GT syncs at anything between 7600 and 8128 depending very much on the time of day or weather.  This resulted in a line speed of 6500, though as of today its at 7150 as Im syncing solidly at 8128.
I am on PAYG, which appearently has the same traffic priority as pro, with everything gold all the time.
Up until about 3 days ago, I could get full line speed at any time.  Numerous speed tests demonstrated this to me, and I was even able to download from usenet (im new to newsgroups) at up to 720kb/s right in the middle of peak hours.  Great.
about 3 days ago my connection slowed.  Not a gradual slow down over a few days, it was a sudden drop.
Now at peak times I struggle to get above 500kbps on speed tests, and even at off peak hours of 3am, I can not get beyond 4mb or just under two thrids of what I had before at peak times!
Something has changed, and I would like to know:
What has changed?
Why has it changed?
Who can I contact to have whatever it was changed back again.?
For information my exchange is showing as VP's red (which seems the norm for this exchange looking at its history - BT just appear not to give a [Censored] about this particular exchange).
However it has been red during all my time connected to it and I have never once sufered the issues up until a few days ago.  Im reluctant to think that this is the change, although some kind BT engineer trying to speed up someone elses connection may well have switched me with another - if this is the case then I shall not be best pleased at all.
Ive raised a ticket and await an answer.  In the meanwhile, does anyone else have any suggestions as to what has happened and how to resolve it?
Anyone from PN fancy a nice puzzle to try and figure out exactly whats happened?
Im wondering if the fix date for the red VP status at my exchange actually saw some action.  Im wondering if instead of upping the capacity, they just shuffled people around, moving those who had lodged complaints onto a less crowded DSLAM and bunching everyone else together.  A robbing Peter to pay Paul exercise.
Any way of finding out if Ive been moved recently?
Anyone from PN taking an interest at all?  Cry
48 REPLIES 48
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: Download speed suddenly dropped by up to 90%

Doing some more digging it appears that this massive drop in speed coincides with the same time as many people were moved to a different gateway. (homesurf)
Can someone advise if I was moved.  If so, it would be useful if I could be moved back in order to eliminate this particular change from the list of possible causes.
So far this is the only change I have found which happened at the exact same time my speeds dropped off a cliff, so its the prime suspect for now.  Unless of course PN can contact anyone at BT to find out if they made any changes to my line/exchange at that time too?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm on the homesurf routing:
C:\Documents and Settings\John>tracert www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Tracing route to www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk [84.92.1.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
 1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dg834 [192.168.0.1]
 2    12 ms    11 ms    14 ms  lo0-homesurf.thn-ag3.plus.net [195.166.128.81]
 3    12 ms    10 ms    10 ms  vl306.thn-gw1.plus.net [84.92.3.201]
 4    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  84.92.1.14
Trace complete.

and this is the speed I'm getting

Can you see if you can get to the same gateway as me and then we could compare routing (actually any thn gateway might do).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chesterfield
Grafter

Im currently at work - wont be back home until after 5pm ish.  Though last night I hopped gateways all evening and it made no difference what so ever.
The only change seems to have been the moving of people onto different gatways.
Its either that or there was a change made at the exchange, and not in a good way.  Its either something that has happened during a move of my connection to another route at PN, or my line has been moved in the exchange.  Either way I want it changing back, and I want it changing back now.
Ill do some gateway hopping and tracert's done when I get back.  Any particular route you would like to know, so then I can do them ready for when you can next view the topic (I dont expect you to keep waiting for my updates  Grin ) you are doing a lot to help me already.  Im just bamboozled (and annoyed) as to whats caused this massive drop overnight.  There is a reason for it, and Id like PN to help identify whats causing/caused it, and then help fix it.
Hopefully with your help we may be able to spot something which will give a clue.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Having established if we can get the same routing I'd then like to compare throughput using mybroadbandspeed - so checking the route to that (as above) would seem sensible.
It might be as well to check with me before you start hopping in case I've ended up on a different gateway in the meantime! (see PM I'm about to send)
chesterfield
Grafter

Thanks Jelv,  Ill check back here later then and begin some testing.
I wish I just knew what it was that caused it.  Its got to be a change made somewhere either at PN or the exchange.
Is there any way PN can check with BT if there have been any changes made at the exchange recently - as this could perhaps identify another possible cause.  If BT havent done any work at the exchange in the last week or so, then this rules out the exchange as a possibility and we can then focus on whats caused it at PN.
If it was a change at PN though why would it affect just my product?  Surely there must be others affected if this was the case.  Why are my broadband problems never simple!  Grin
Thanks again Jelv, you really are a star!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chesterfield,
Well your connection logs are showing an extremely intermittent connection, which will undoubtedly have caused the speed drop. I can see you've raised us a fault, I'd expect that to be picked up shortly but in the mean time I'd definitely advise testing from the master socket with all your phones disconnected and if possible try an alternative router, just to rule out internal wiring and router problems.
Not sure what's actually caused the fault at the moment but investigation will more than likely reveal something.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

He's been doing loads of gateway hopping. I hope you are not misinterpreting that as an intermittent connection!
btharper
Grafter

Is there no way of telling the difference between a login to the Plusnet authentication servers and a reconnect to the exchange?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From midnight through to shortly after 8am there were nearly 50 connection drops, that's alot of gateway hopping or an extremely intermittent connection. However the IP profile is still at 7150.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chesterfield
Grafter

I did do a LOT of gateway hoping last night to see if I could get anywhere  - but I couldnt.  I did a bunch this morning before leaving too.
I was trying to see if the problem persisted across all gateways I could find, and it did.
Were there any reconnects between say 3.30 am and 7am?  I was certainly asleep between that time, so any reconnects then would have been as a result of other issues and not me hopping.
My sync is always between 7500 and the maximum so its not an unstable connection.  Just trying to establish whats changed since my rock solid line speeds of a few days ago.
Have I been moved on the PN network?  Has there been any work at the exchange?
Once we know the answer to both of these, we can work to narrow down the cause.
There have been zero changes to my side of the connection, and no new devices or lights pluged into either my power sockets, or the phone sockets.
Its a strange one.... but I really wouldnt expect anything else from my connection!  Grin
colintivy
Rising Star

This seems to have happened to me as well over the last few days...no home moving or other disturbances that I am aware of. MyBroadband history shows some excellent speeds (for my piece of damp string to the Exchange) some time ago but since then back to normal and now thud!!
How do I quote the history for yor examination?Huh
colintivy Sad
chesterfield
Grafter

Did a quick test using the iphone speedtest app (as provided by speedtest net) when I popped in at home during lunch - not the most scientific of tests, as I had not time to boot the pc up and give things a propper test as it was just a flying visit.
Net result was a download speed not much in excess of 700k, upload 350k ish.  So download still looks to be horrendous.
Any news from PN on whether there has been work undertaken at my exchange?  If not then there is only one place that any changes could have been made, and have been made that would affect my service....
csogilvie
Grafter

chesterfield: Have you tried doing a BT Speedtest (obviously one you're home from work) to see what that says?
chesterfield
Grafter

DId one last night around the 7.30-8pm time, cant remember precisely and it showed around 500-550 kbps on all three tests.  It advised to report the fault to my ISP stating that throughput was poor after test 3.
Did another around 2 am I think - or could have been 3am, and got 2400 kbps.  Still less than half my line speed, but within acceptabel levels so there was no option to do other tests.
I have a fear that will be the answer to this tricky problem - its within acceptable limits, so we dont have to bother searching for an answer as to why its dropped off by 90% at peak and as much as 50% off peak.  Cry
It was nice having an 8mb connection for a while - I fear whatever changes have been made will have now made that just a memory.