cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed suddenly a constant 117 kbps!

esseff
Grafter

Download speed suddenly a constant 117 kbps!

I've tried several sites and this has to be you as they're all downloading at the same rate. Yet, my PN speed test shows a normal 6 mbps. What's going on?
17 REPLIES 17
techguy
Grafter

Re: Download speed suddenly a constant 117 kbps!

Have you gone over your usage and been capped to 128 Kbps?
esseff
Grafter

Usage at 4.5 GB of 13.
The last download I tried a moment ago went upto line speed for about 20 seconds, then I watched it go down to 117 in about 10 seconds again. It does seem as if I'm being capped. It doesn't make sense as I had no issues during the day.
techguy
Grafter

Try disconnecting reconnecting your router through its interface to see if you can get onto a less congested gateway?
Use the gateway checker tool before and after http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
esseff
Grafter

Would a congested gateway limit me to a fixed download speed like this?
techguy
Grafter

Yep if the gateways uplink to the network is congested by heavy traffic such as streaming.
esseff
Grafter

Went from ag-1 to ag-3 and there's no change. In fact it's slower!!
techguy
Grafter

Run a speedtest.
First try http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk which will test from within PN's network and then try the BT tester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com
Can I ask what product you are on and an example of a site you were trying to download from so I can give you a bit more guidance?
techguy
Grafter

Try this also (instructions are for XP)
1. Go to Start > Run and type cmd
2. type tracert and
3. Type nslookup and the address of the site e.g. nslookup www.microsoft.com
If the address returned refers to akadns then it could be being restricted as part of the peak time restrictions unless you are on Pro.
esseff
Grafter

I use a Mac. I've already run a speed test.
esseff
Grafter

I've tried several sites including Macupdate.com, Apple.com and Rapidshare - all are the same.
Line Speed at 6156 - download now at 18kbps!
It really makes no sense - just tried a random download from an update site. Speed started off very slow then rose slowly until it was at 400+ when I stopped it. Downloaded the same file again - this time started off at dial-up speeds then rose to no more than 50-60k!
techguy
Grafter

Well, Apple.com is edge cached on the Akamai content delivery network so is restricted http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml or maybe you are using a download manager?
Rpaidshare throttle downloads but are also restricted on PN http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/download_servers.shtml
Macupdate.com appears to be a server hosted by the planet so is not restricted as far as I know but I wonder if whatever you are trying to download is hosted on one of the services on the restricted list?
You could always raise a ticket with PN and check.
Sorry I cant be of more assistance but other than owning an iPod Nano I know nothing of the Apple universe.
Smiley
esseff
Grafter

I am using a download manager. I tried downloading without it and the speed increased dramatically, albeit a little slower than during the day. Why should a DM make a difference at this time?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Download managers can be throttled as they open a large amount of HTTP connections, in peak times you're best off not using one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
techguy
Grafter

DMs work by creating several simultaneous connections to the same server and grabbing chunks of the file to speed up the download, these are then reconstructed into the single file
Trouble is this can chew up bandwidth so thats why they are banned, to be honest though, with broadband you really don't need one as they were really designed for dial-up users.
It will always be slower than during the day on any ISP as both their network and their upstream connections are under a heavier load.
Edit was beaten to it!