cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed slow when uploading

scs123

Download speed slow when uploading

I am a fairly new signup, coming from Sky. My general upload/ download speed seems OK and comparable to Sky when I run a speed test, maybe a bit slower, but I have noticed that if I am uploading something such as doing a backup to Dropbox, the download speed drops drastically, virtually to nil. I did not get this on Sky. 

To put in context, a webpage that opens in seconds might take around a minute to open, when the uploading is going on. 

Does Plusnet "throttle" downloads whilst uploading? Or is this a glitch that technical support can look into?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Download speed slow when uploading

Hi there.

While we don't throttle your speeds in any way and line tests aren't showing a definitive cause for the problem, we're seeing you're on a 3dB SNR target set by the dynamic line management(DLM) software at the exchange.

DLM would generally work in a different way compared with Sky as they'd likely use their own equipment at the exchange as opposed to the BT equipment we'd use.

I've made a change to the SNR target by increasing it to 6dB, which should complete within the next 30 minutes. Let us know if you're still experiencing problems afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scs123

Thank you, I will review and let you know if any further issues. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you've switched to the Plusnet Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704N), then it's a problem with those routers (bufferbloat).