Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed slow on Fibre

Rdavison1
Dabbler

Download speed slow on Fibre

Hello,
Just wondering if there's a reason as to why my download speed is around the 5mb mark after just having fibre installed. According to my account on the main plusnet site my line speed is 37mb?
My upload is fine hitting around 7mb Just wondering if theres a reason as to why my download seems to be slow.

Thanks, Rdavison1
18 REPLIES 18
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Re: Download speed slow on Fibre

Where are you measuring your speed from? A laptop or desktop? And what site are you using to measure? Also, are you measuring on a wireless or wired connection?
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Wired connection on a desktop computer. Used Speedtest.net and the BT speed tester and got the same results.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, hope things have improved since? Our side is up to date and your profile has changed on BTs side too.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Now running 21mb with a solid 8mb upload, Just wondering if my line speed is saying 37mb in connection settings in my account,  is it possible to increase to that over the next few days?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hopefully it will, but it's set at that because that's the fastest profile available on the service you're on. It's far more likely that when we next get a profile update the PN profile will fall to match that set on BTs side rather than the other way around.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Is there any way of getting it higher than 21mb, after all I was estimated at 27mb which I'm 6mb off of at the moment. Surely my line is capable of more than 21mb  Cry
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

try turning your internet security off then re-running the test. sometimes the security software bottlenecks the test. it did with mine. I turned it off and the speed test showed my full connection speed instead of half, of which it was showing previously.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've also seen slower speed test results with people using Firefox for some reason, not sure why.
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

there's also something else I've found. If your desktop has the AppEx Networks Accelerator enabled for your network card, this can significantly slow down the speed test. Mine went to half! If you need to disable it, go into Network and Sharing Center (in Windows 7 & 8), click Change Adapter Settings. In the Network Connections screen right-click the connection you're using (Ethernet or Wireless) and select Properties from the menu. If you have AppEx Networks Accelerator in the list, untick it and press OK.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Hi,
I'm getting roughly 22mb download across all my devices, such as my PC, iPhone, iPad, laptop etc, so if my current line speed is 37mb surely I need my line reseting or something.
Also I'm using Google Chrome for the speed tests.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

That's what I just got...
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Any advice on this? Surely my upload shouldn't be faster than my download  Huh
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Run the bt wholesale speed test on the desktop. Should be able to get your ip profile, which should match what you've got on plusnet.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

This test shows that my max achivable download is 22.98 yet my "current Line speed" with plusnet is 37mb. Surely theres some way of getting somewhat close to the 37mb quoted.
Before I chose fibre I was quoted 27mb which I've yet to get close too as well.  Sad