cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed lower compared to what BT Engineer said I should be getting

pmillar1970
Dabbler

Download speed lower compared to what BT Engineer said I should be getting

Had some issues recently with my line, but the connection has been stable for over 10 days now, but as a result of the problem the line seemed to get capped to 11mbs download speed.  BT Engineer came out yeserday and "reset the line" and then measured with his equipment a download speed of 58mbs.  I then connected back up to my setup and I was still only seeing just over 10mbs, but the upstream had increase to the expected levels - so something had changed.
I've tried different routers but still seems to be capped and I think I have read that there is a BT IP profile and then a Plusnet profile.  I've added the following information to the ticket but doesn't seem to be quickly being resolved, especially if it's just a matter of Pusnet matching the IP profile.
From the Plusnet site, I can see the following:
Telephone number:
01845xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
THIRSK
Estimated line speed:
66Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-06-03 22:27:48
Current line speed:
11 Mb
From the BT Wholesale Test site I get the following:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
10.29 Mbps

0 Mbps 51.67 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 41.33 Mbps-51.67 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 51.67 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
2.97 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.97Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to speed up resolving this and getting my speeds back to where they were.
Thanks
Paul
15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Download speed lower compared to what BT Engineer said I should be getting

Hi Paul,
You should edit your post to remove your phone number.
The PN profile is wrong  Have you just upgraded from ADSL?  Sometimes the old ADSL profile remains / gets reapplied by late updates from BTOR systems.
DCT should be able to fix this quickly. You will need to restart the router.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@pmillar1970
I've adjusted the profile on our side now, try a single disconnect/reconnect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick responses and I will try this after a disconnect/re-connect in a couple of hours when I'm back home.
Thanks for the spot on the phone number, hadn't thought of that and amended! 🙂
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Just been home to disconnect/reconnect to hopefully sort this and found the connection was down anyway - so tried to reconnect but was taking ages on the router web interface.  So then checked the BT Openreach fibre router and the DSL light is flashing again, then going off and then starts to flash again - so it seems that increasing the speed profile on the PlusNet side has brought back the original problem I had.  To add more info here, as opposed to what's on the open ticket, I had a problem previously, which I think resulted in the line speed being capped but BT came out yesterday and did all the line tests without an issue being found and measured the line speeds on their test equipment as being at 58mbs down, so they don't see a problem.
I'll update the ticket, but any other thoughts on this let me know.  I'm back at work now and will be for the rest of the day but can try other things tonight - dependant on the state of my connection, which may have down graded it's speed again, as I seem to remember that the engineer said that happens automatically if there's a problem?
Diagnostic info below:
Telephone number:
01845xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
THIRSK
Estimated line speed:
66Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-06-03 22:27:48
Current line speed:
51.6 Mb
I'm not getting as much info from the BT Wholesale testing now:

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 3.47 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 5.27 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Thanks again.
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Some more detailled results from the BT Wholesale diagnostics tool - but still shows the problem being present.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
This is quite possibly one of the worst Fibre Connections I've seen for a long time (see attached). The line is severely erroring which is causing the connection to drop and completely lose sync to the cabinet. I've got your response on your Fault Ticket. To save time, I've passed the fault back to our suppliers to try and save a bit of time.
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Ok thanks - I don't know enough about all of this - but a pain none of this showed up during the tests the BT engineer did yesterday, as that's two appointments I've had now.
I'll keep a look out for updates or improvements in the service.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Paul,
This is an unfortunate coincidence.
The profile change made earlier today does not alter the synch rate of the service.  It does though change the rate at which PN attempts to send DATA.
Think of it as being like a railway line capable of running trains able to travel at 140mph but only pushing slow trains along it at 50mph.  Coincidently with deciding to run full speed trains a points fault is found which closes the line!
Hopefully BTOR will get to the bottom of matters quickly.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pmillar1970
Dabbler

Thanks Kevin - useful illustration to help me understand the problem and I hope they get to the root cause soon, as I've two years of great fibre service up until now.
Cheers
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Line has connected up at somepoint over the afternoon and I'm getting just under 20mbs, but don't know if that will continue to decrease if the line is unstable - hopefully it will continue to improve so will monitor over the weekend.
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Seems like we're back down to where it was 8.9mbs just measured on the BT Wholesale test - I'm not around much over the weekend so can't do much testing but hope someone finds the problem and fixes by the time I come back - would be a nice surprise!
Have a good weekend everyone!  Undecided
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know.
Leave the Fault Ticket with us and just add notes onto to it where absolutely necessary and our Faults Team will be back in touch.
P.S - If we need another engineer to visit, could advise when you could be available for a visit?
pmillar1970
Dabbler

Hi - I seemed to get quicker results posting here ... so hence reposting what I've put on the fault.
Engineer has been today and spent from 8am-11.30 tracing the line between the cabinet and my house. He did find a fault between two boxes along the street, so swapped the cables and everything is reporting fine with no errors. He's measured the speed between 50-60mbs outside the house.
My speeds still aren't great but I wonder if there is a cap in place again - seems to be showing as 33.8 on your speed profile check page - so could this be brought in line with the BT side again and we'll see how it goes?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've updated your Speed Profile, could you restart your Plusnet Router (not the Openreach Modem)?