cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed less then 30KB/s !!!!

dc8
Grafter

Download speed less then 30KB/s !!!!

Last couple of days internet has been unusable due to terrible connection speed.
I have reset the router countless times and despite it telling me that it is connected at 3000+ I cannot browse the web or do anything productive.
Tested everything I can but nothing works and I notice an awful lot of other users seeming to be complaining about the same thing so would appreciate some action on this matter ASAP.
Below is some basic info from the router
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:24:19
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 28,18 / 250,78
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 56,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,0 / 12,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 37 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 38
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0
33 REPLIES 33
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Download spped less then 30KB/s - WTF !!!!

Unfortunately, resetting the router countless times will be making the problem worse, or at least preventing the speed from increasing automatically.
You probably need your Plusnet Current Line Speed to increase. That won't happen until your BT IP Profile increases, which you can get from the BT speedtester further diagnostics (don't reboot the router, just ignore everything in the red preamble). If you are on 20CN ADSL1 (ADSL2+ not available at your exchange), then unfortunately it can take a day or two for the BT IP Profile to increase.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Download spped less then 30KB/s !!!!

Agree 100% with last poster - don't keep resetting your router. Leave it on 24/7  - but I would certainly report a fault to PN .
Depsite what others may have said  on these forums , the online chat service will direct you to the next step and if you are patient  you will find them  quite helpful.  Reprt your fault on line vai the torubleshooter and then put in a phone call to tech support  to see what they make of it. Sometimes a wait of 24 to 72 hours is normal for the reporting system to recognise what might need to be done.
dc8
Grafter

Re: Download speed less then 30KB/s !!!!

Thanks for the reply but I am even more confused now !!
I would normally expect to connect at somewhere around 1600 and now get over 3000 so why is my actual download under 30KB/s when I could get around 150KB/s at a lower connection speed ?
Had a look at the Current Line Speed link and it showed this
Estimated line speed:
   There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
   3 Mb
So, I have to suffer basically no internet for a few days and hope that it clears up ?
Thanks in advance
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You could check the BT IP Profile on the BT speedtester. If the BT IP Profile is low, by the time the BT IP Profile increases, the Plusnet current line speed will probably have changed to the low value, but at least Plusnet can easily change that one.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line had connected at a low speed which caused the profile of the line to reduce down to 500k. This has since updated back to 2500, so you should be able to see speeds back to normal now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dc8
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.
I have now invested in a new router, an Asus DSL-AC68 which has solved my other problems (NAS access and wireless speed issues)
Obviously, I have had to reset things and my speed is now down to 160 kbps and my Current Line Speed link now shows
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    0.2 Mb
Router has been connected now for just under 20 hours and at this speed my internet is unusable.
When might I expect to see some improvement on my connection speed because if this goes on I might have to try somewhere else !!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

What are the current ADSL stats?
Asus DSL models don't have a particularly good reputation for DSL stability.
A disconnection or two when swapping routers shouldn't have taken the line speed that far down.
dc8
Grafter

Details from router's DSL log page below
System Log - DSL Log
This page shows the detailed system's activities.
DSL Firmware Version 1.0.2.2
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.1.127_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
DSL Link Status
up
DSL Uptime
0 days 19 hours 43 minutes 3 seconds
DSL modulation
ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
Annex mode
ANNEX_A
SNR Down
9.0 dB
SNR Up
15.0 dB
Line Attenuation Down
63.5 dB
Line Attenuation Up
31.5 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
160 kbps
Data Rate Up
448 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
12.0 dbm
POWER Up
12.0 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up
cedlor
Grafter

ejs has asked twice for you to do the BTW performance test - so we can see what it holds as the IP speed.
It looks like you must have connected the router late at night which with the long line to the exchange you appear to have means there
could be a lot of external noise at that time causing a low sync when connecting.
It is best at this time of year to connect up between noon and 2pm so if there is no improvement by 2pm on Sunday I would try the other router
then, if you are not able to do it during the week at that time.
dc8
Grafter

Hi,
When I ran the Speed tests on Sunday I managed to do something and ended up with a dead TG582.- the last test where you have to use some BT login ?
Thankfully, after a call to the Helpline I got back online and had at least a semi-usable speed.
Knowing that I was going to get a new router during the week I left the thread as it was.
I was hoping that with a new router things would sort themselves out but obviously they haven't so I will post the results of the tests here ASAP.
Have NEVER had these problems before and as I mentioned in my initial post there seemed to be a lot of messages regards speeds and disconnections on the forum.
Seems a bit odd that the time of day could have such an effect on a connection speed ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

At this point, the BT speedtests are no longer so necessary, the Data Rate Down of 160 kbps from the Asus is now the problem. The time of day or night when the connection is established may affect the speed, but not by as much as from 3Mb to 160kb. Either the Asus is faulty (or just can't cope with your line), or you have some sort of problem with your cables, filters, extension wiring, or you have a fault on the line.
You could try putting the 582n back on and seeing if it gets a better speed. Also check if the Asus has the latest firmware, and upgrade it if necessary.
dc8
Grafter

OK.
Speedtests done and the results are shown attached- ALL instructions followed to the letter which meant ANOTHER router reset lol !!

dc8
Grafter

Well, I can state categorically that the results I got today are EXACTLY the same as on Sunday when I initially ran the tests so I really don't know what to do now.
Although there MAY be an issue with the Asus I am unwilling to dismantle the whole setup again until someone from Plusnet themselves can try tweaking something maybe ?
Seems that the 0,2 on Current line speed would be a limiting factor to start with and may need raising so that I can try to get connected at some sort of decent speed ?
A reply from Chris seems to suggest that something was not right when the speed was down to 500 and that was BEFORE the new Asus router
I do need to get a firmware update but can't download at the moment as I assume the connection just isn't up to it ?!
Thanks for you help and suggestions so far.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

No, it's the other way around, the Current Line Speed gets set automatically based on what speed your modem/router connects at. If you manage to get the Asus or the 582n connected at a better speed, then the profile figures would hold back the speed test results, but the profiles would increase automatically, eventually.