cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed issues

Bonno
Dabbler

Download speed issues

For the last few days i've been experiencing slower download speeds and increased ping times to what i'm used to. Speedtest .net is giving me results from around 0.5 - 0.9 mbs and pings of up to 2500ms, when before my download speed averaged around 3mbs.
BT Line check
Download speedachieved during the test was - 857 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5696 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
16 REPLIES 16
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Download speed issues

Hi Bonno,
Not entirely sure what's going on but it looks like your profile seems to be going crazy at the exchange on the 26th of each month... I've just run a consistency check (that is, checking your line profile across the DSLAM and BRAS in the exchange) and it's come up as failed so I've done a bit of maintenance as well - within the next hour or so things should start to sort themselves out.
Hope that helps, please let us know if it doesn't.
Bonno
Dabbler

Never had any problems with it before at any time up until now, but everything seems to be sorted, the speed is back to what it normally is.
I'll watch out to see anything happens with it again on the 26th of this month and let you know if so.
Thanks for your help.
Bonno
Dabbler

Hi i'm back again.
Just got home from work this morning and things have indeed gone crazy again right on the 26th. Everything was fine when i left for work last night, now on speedtests i'm getting results of 0.2mbps.
This is painful.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bonno,
It looks like we can put an order through to move you to 21CN if you like - that should move you to different exchange kit and hopefully stop this from happening. Other option is to leave you on 20CN and reset the SNR as happened last month, then we can look at possible causes for this. Our suspicion is that it's REIN, electrical interference basically from something that happens on the 26th each month either near your premises or the exchange. Do you know if anyone else in your area has the same issues on the same day?
Either way please let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll get on it for you.
Bonno
Dabbler

I think just go ahead and move me to 21CN and we'll see if that sorts the issue out. Either way at least we shouldn't have to worry about it for another month Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just placed the order for you, it should be complete in 7 working days Smiley
Bonno
Dabbler

Still having some issues. For the past week i've been getting sporadic outages where the entire connection goes down for around 10 minutes. And today i'm once again getting download speeds of 0.25Mbps. I've no idea if the order to Move me to the different exchange kit has been completed, but if so it clearly hasn't worked. This is getting quite annoying.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you've been migrated to 21CN you're now undergoing a new 10 day stabilisation period, so won't be able to get a speed issue raised as a fault until that's over.
Bonno
Dabbler

Ah i see. Well today its shot up to 6.60Mbps the highest i've ever managed to get on my line, fingers crossed it stays up there.
Bonno
Dabbler

So its the 26th again and my download speed has dramatically dropped again to the point where gaming is a total no go.
Also recently i've been having issues with my connection cutting out for a few minutes every time someone answers the phone. Any ideas?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Bonno,
I've been looking into this and doubt it's anything to do with the date. You can see form the graph that there's quite a bit of a dropping connection which has dropped your speed, so I'd firstly look here to troubleshoot and raise a fault if necessary.
Jojo Smiley
Bonno
Dabbler

After doing some troubleshooting, i've discovered that my connection drops whenever a phone connected to the line is picked up, regardless of whether their is a call incoming,
Could this means that there is prehaps and issue with the wiring in my house?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes, or it could mean you have not fitted the broadband filters correctly or have one that is faulty.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Bonno,
Any telephone equipment must have a filter attached to it or it will cut off the broadband every time it's used.
Jojo Smiley