cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed halved

Lloyd71
Dabbler

Download speed halved

Just lately my broadband download speed has been appalling. I can't even watch YouTube videos at 480p anymore, they're just constantly buffering. I did a speed test and my download speeds have dropped quite a bit:

Compare this to a speedtest done earlier in the year:

Any idea what's going on? The connection is barely usable anymore, I've been using my mobile internet as it's currently 7x quicker. If the ping gets any slower I'll be better off switching to a 4G dongle from Three. I know it's in a rural area but at least the old speed could stream SD video!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Download speed halved

Post all the information asked for here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 5

Your line is erroring at a very high rate, which will explain why your seeing very low speeds and a relatively high ping.
Are you able to connected into your Test Socket with an alternative microfilter?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/microfilters-how-and-why.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest
Chris Pettitt
Cloud Environments Engineer
Lloyd71
Dabbler

I've tried with an alternative microfilter however we don't have a test socket, our main line just runs to an LJU socket. The speed was still very low. According to speedtest.net my speed has dropped even further, down to 0.5Mbps. Which would explain how it can barely even run Netflix on the lowest setting anymore.
Regarding the other steps mentioned, here's the stats I was able to get, clicking to get more info on the DSL connection got me only 4 lines of info, is this right?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSL Connection
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:53
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.69 / 53.39
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Speedtest only for IP profiles:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.11 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.25 Mbps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Speedtest full:
Download: 1.15Mbps
Upload: 0.38Mbps
Ping: 41.7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The speed is still appalling, especially when trying to do online gaming, something we never previously had issues with. I wasn't able to get any info from our Plusnet Member Centre as it keeps saying the password is incorrect which it definitely isn't.
Acassim
Grafter

Hi Lloyd71,
Sorry to hear that the speed have further degraded, it may be best for to raise a fault so we can have you run through the checks and we can request some testing be done on the suppliers side.