Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed getting progressively worse

FIXED
KhromeHound
Grafter

Download speed getting progressively worse

Just going to get right into this with what I know, if any other information is required I will attempt to provide it.

Over the course of the last few months I've gone from 330 or so KB/s all the way down to around 175 KB/s and I'm not entirely certain why as no particular changes have been made recently other than me switching to a wired connection over wifi in a recent attempt to combat my slower speeds. (Speed as of right now patching a game in the background while writing this is 167 KB/s)

Microfilter has been swapped a few times without improvement, the router has also been changed since this began for a more recent model still without improvement.

As far as I'm aware the estimate for the broadband is 1.5 mb/s to 4.0 mb/s (Megabits)

To my knowledge at this point we have actually dropped below the 1.5 mb/s mark and while I'm used to slow internet where I live losing a sizable chunk of my previously stable download speed is just flat out annoying.

Is there anything I can do on my end, any help I can get or am I just stuck with this?

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Download speed getting progressively worse

I'm just having a look at this for you.

[edit]

I've pushed through a reset on your line which should increase your speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KhromeHound
Grafter

Much appreciated, any idea when that will be happening or should that have already gone through?

KhromeHound
Grafter

As of today the reset seems to have helped somewhat, the connection speed has gained a good 25 or so KB/s and we're now at around 200KB/s average - still a fair bit shy of where it once was but at least back within estimates I guess.

Would it be possible to arrange for a few more resets to see if they continue to improve the speed I'm receiving? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If the speeds aren't better after the reset I did there wouldn't be any benefit in doing a second.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KhromeHound
Grafter

The speed has improved a bit compared to before the reset. (roughly ~20-30KB/s)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

You can raise a fault here and we'll see what we can do.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
KhromeHound
Grafter

Hit the fixed thing instead of reply by accident, goddamn it me. Right it'll take a while to do the fault thing because you have to go through the troubleshooter beforehand (Certainly seems that way at least) and one step involves speedtests at different times with one ideally not during peak hours at least so.

KhromeHound
Grafter

Fault has been raised as of 8 or so minutes ago. Download speed is currently all over the place, but in a somewhat better way then expected. We've jumped to 330 KB/s as of right now though a few minutes ago it couldn't get above 210KB/s.

This is during non-peak time mind (3:30AM) but my speeds were usually fairly stable all day round so we may in fact be fixed now. I'll update this assuming it doesn't stay at this speed/ suddenly drops back to to the previous 200 KB/s

Otherwise assume fixed I guess. - Looks like either something was done right as I raised the fault or the first reset (/any since) have fixed the problem with a small delay.