cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed dropping rapidly since training period ended.

wrightgj
Grafter

Download speed dropping rapidly since training period ended.

Hi all,
I got fibre 13 days ago and at first sync it was a steady 33/2. I requested an increase in the upload which ended up giving me 31/8. I was happy with this but now (for the last two days) I am getting around 20/7.5. The download has dropped by a third.
A couple of days ago my router completely gave up the ghost and locked up with the 'concentrator  not reachable' error and a hard reset and re-config got it going again. With this latest drop in speed I am wondering if I need to request a new router. BT seem to have limited me to 22Mbps. The line seems to sync fine... Here are my latest BT results:
BT Stuff //////////////////////
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
20.9 Mbps

0 Mbps 22.4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.9 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-22.4 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 22.4 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
7.53 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.53Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
end BT stuff //////////////////////////////
Please can I have the profile reset so I may download at the original 33 Mbps, and please could you send me a replacement router. I can supply the original call detail if necessary.
regards,
graham
7 REPLIES 7
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Download speed dropping rapidly since training period ended.

Hi Graham,
I've checked your line and everything is running fine. The error message that you received is something we have seen before, the common issue for this error is when the exchange thinks you are connected but your router doesn't think it is connected. So there is a conflict. To resolve this you need to power down your modem and router for 5-10 minutes and then power back on again, power your modem on first until the DSL light is solid and then power on your router.
Your sync rate is currently at 33MB/s, the same as your profile. I'd suggest trying the power-down and see how you go from there.
Let me know the results.
Chris
wrightgj
Grafter

Chris,
Thanks a lot for checking that for me. The weather was a little strange last night, so that could maybe have something to do with the low d/l. I re-checked this morning and indeed it was back to around 30Mbps.
The thing that confused me was from the BT checker results (pasted above) it looked like the BT profile had been set to 20-odd Mbps. Strangely it was back to 30-odd this morning.
I cleared the concentrator error with a reset of the router.
Regards,
Graham.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not to sure with the IP profile side of things as I have checked and it doesn't appeared to have altered.
Glad to see your speeds are back and the error message has gone.
If there's anything else please let me know.
Chris
wrightgj
Grafter

Ok the connection has reverted back to 20Mbits again for the last two days.
Could you please do a quick speedtest to confirm the BT profile is again capping me? When i run the BT tester is says the profile of my line is around 20Mbits. It was over 30 (as it should be) on Monday.
Why does it keep doing this? Have there been lots of disconnects on my line I'm not aware of?
regards,
graham
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your profile is currently sat at 20.7MB/s, but I can see from your speed test that it is sat at 20MB/s. Your line appears to be stable, very few disconnections.
Unfortunately there is no manually way for me to change this. To get this resolved I'd suggest that you raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and complete the diagnostic questions so we can investigate this further.
wrightgj
Grafter

Ok thanks. Before I raise a fault shall I reboot and see if that fixes it? It has done in the past. I'm pretty sure I just rebooted the router last time and it resolved it.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can certainly try, it will do no harm.
I would advise to log into your router and click disconnect, then power down both your router and modem for a few minutes. First power back on the modem and wait for the DSL light to go solid, then power back on your router and log into it and click connect.
Then see how it's performing, if it's still the same then I'd raise a fault.