Did you mean: 

Download speed below 0.5 but throughput 2.5Mbps

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Download speed below 0.5 but throughput 2.5Mbps

In that case I'd report a fault at http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
med777
Dabbler

Gandolf - won't they just say it is the length of the line ?

Miriam

med777
Dabbler

My line improved briefly and I 'm back to less than 0.5Mbps with a the Hub's actual line speed saying 2.561Mpbs.

I received an email from plusnet faults saying this :

Essentially, your line can handle a maximum of 900MB per hour. This means as you get closer and closer to this level, it means your bandwidth is being used to a greater level to provide you with that data. At the moment you advised of your last speed test, you had used 600MB within the previous hour - this means that you were already using 2/3s of the available bandwidth for your line meaning your line will operate at a slower speed. This has been the same result with the last half dozen results you have sent - each time you advise of a slow speed, your bandwidth is being heavily utilised.

So if the above is the case, then surely my speed would be flying in the morning when there has been no usage and that it would change throughout the day depending on my usage.

Frankly i am not convinced but any techies out there know better ?

TIA

Miriam

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the gist of what they were trying to say is that something else was using the bandwidth at the same time as the speedtest was running.

med777
Dabbler

Hiya and thanks.

Yes that is exactly what they are saying but I was running Netbalancer which shows what is accessing the internet and it is showing a usage of 57KB/s ( Firefox so I can run the speedtests) with wifi disabled at Hub and nothing but a single device connected. And trying the tests with separate devices with the same conditions

Miriam