Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36.0 / 65.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 6.0
Download speed: 0.55 Mbps
Upload speed  0.37 Mbps
Ping: 39.50 ms
Current line speed:
0.6 Mb
As you can see my line in extremely slow.
Few weeks ago I contacted the fault team and they performed some checks and a reset of the line. After the reset, the speed dropped from around 1Mbps to 0.5.
According to the SN margin and the line attenuation the line is very bad and I would like to know if reinstalling the existing line or installing a new one I can get more speed.
I live in a building of around 15 apartments and according to the building manager the phone line installation has been completed by BT/Openreach around 7 years ago and we are all connected to the same street cabinet. The main difference is that I download at 0.5 and other neighbours, living in the same building, can get 7Mbps, with Talktalk or Sky.
Just to add more sadness to the story, on the building next to the one where I live, just few meters, of the same complex of apartments, they can get FTTC up to 38Mbps.
What could be the best solution in my situation?
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Download speed at 0.5 Mbps

You clearly have some sort of connection problem, and if neighbours get around 7Mbps, you should get similar. This doesn't have anything to do with which ISP you use, it's purely down to the line and the way you are connected. Nor is Fibre a consideration until this connection issue is resolved.
I can see you raised this problem almost a year ago from your previous posts, but nothing seemed to have been investigated other than a check of your stats, so let's start from scratch.
Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left? Do you have any extension phone sockets, and what is normally plugged in where?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
Please describe your setup in as much detail as possible (not what computers you have) just the modem/router and phone connections, use of any extension leads etc.
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats - you get the login screen first.
Can you put your phone number into the ADSL Checker and copy and paste all the results into a post BUT delete your phone number from the paste!
Asti
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I am using the modem provided by Plusnet, the Technicolor one and the filters are exactly the same shown on the page that you indicated me. The modem/router is connected directly to the master socket NTE5 and I connect to it a laptop and 2 smartphones via wi-fi. There isn't any kind of extensions or anything else. Both modem and phone are connected to the master socket, without any other complication.
TBH I have used the phone only few times during the last year and I don't remember any particular noise or crackling while having a conversation. Every time I tried to call, it went through and nobody has said to me that they had problems calling my landline number. As I said, it is almost unused, so this information might not be totally reliable.
I will be at home in a couple of days and I will post the full stats of the modem.
The values below were much higher when I checked them after being connected with you a year ago.
BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number XXX on Exchange STOKE ON TRENT is served by Cabinet 12
Featured Products - Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) - Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) - Downstream Range(Mbps) - Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1.5 -- 0.5 to 2.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1.5 Up to 0.5 0.5 to 2.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Thanks for the help,
Asti
Anotherone
Champion

I'll keep an eye open for the full stats when you get home. As far as any line noise goes, try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2.
When you are home can you also run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Can you also post your Current Line speed (Login required) - again not your phone number.
As far as the BT ADSL Checker results, they are now adjusted to take account of local connections on BTw kit only (not LLU), so your low speed will pull the average and estimated down. Do check with your neighbours if they are still getting speeds circa 7Mbps.
Quote from: Asti
.........after being connected with you a year ago.

Not with me  Wink with Plusnet Smiley
Asti
Dabbler

Hi,
I called 17070 option 2 to complete the quite line test and I can confirm that I didn't hear any noise or crack.
These are the full stats of the modem:
Uptime: 0 days, 21:19:10
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 803
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 53.15 / 78.31
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36.1 / 63.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.4 / 5.9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 15 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 436 / 405
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 63 / 21
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 86 / 63
and these are the result after the BTw Performance test Further diagnostic:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.55 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.55 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.71 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.36 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
and this is the current line speed page:
Phone exchange:
STOKE ON TRENT
Estimated line speed:
1.5Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-02-16 22:24:37
Current line speed:
0.6 Mb
At the beginning the current line speed was 21 Mb.
As soon as I meet someone of my neighbours, I will check again the speed that they can get now.
Thank you again,
Asti
Anotherone
Champion

Slow, as you say. This really could hinge on what your neighbours are getting as well as your estimated line speed.
If you remain connected at your current sync speed of 803, then your Current Line Speed should update from 0.6 to 0.7 to match the BT IP Profile.
The download speed from the BTw test of 0.55 is consistent with the 0.6 Current Line Speed so that should improve as well.
The 21Mb/s initial line speed is the standard default setting before the correct value is established, not an indicator of what you line might do unfortunately.
The errors are extremely low - not that by itself that would be a bad thing but considering the length of your line, something is definitely not right.
Other than that, your upstream could be uncapped, but to be frank that's a bit pointless at present and considering something isn't right it might upset the apple-cart. It will be best to try and discover what is going on first.
Do you have a spare filter at all?
Don't do anything at the moment, but it would be good if one of the Plusnet CRT members on here could do an xDSL Status check and a Copper Line Test (CLT) first and post up the results.
Asti
Dabbler

That was fast, your reply, not the line unfortunately Smiley
I have a spare filter, I received 2 with the modem.
I hope that the tests that you suggested will be enough to understand what is going on.
Finger crossed.
Let me know if I can do anything else to be helpful.
Thanks,
Asti
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not expecting the xDSL Status check to reveal anything too exciting - might be surprised, but hoping the CLT may show up something obvious from Capacitance figures, Loop loss and other similar figures. It should also provide the estimated line length and the calculated line length.
Asti
Dabbler

Hi,
an engineer came today and made same changes to my line. On the cabinet where I am connected there are 5 master lines and I was connected to the first and the oldest one, after some tests he decided to move me on another one, probably newer. My speed now increased from 0.6 to around 10 Mbps, but the line is still capped at 0.6.
Is it possible to update this value, so I can finally enjoy some real Internet connection?
After that the engineer connected me to another master line, the line lengtht dropped from 4.5km to 2.3km. Somehow the old line was following a longer path to reach the telephone exchange.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The bRAS profile hasn't updated yet. This should happen quite soon for you though. If it hasn't upgraded by tomorrow, please let us know and we'll ask BT to manually take a look and update.
EDIT: I've changed our side in preparation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

That sounds like a significant improvement. My guess would be that your old line was that faulty it gave the impression of being much longer. I hope all goes well from now on.
Asti
Dabbler

Hi,
just some updates:
Uptime: 0 days, 14:41:58
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 10,572
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 354.85 / 2.32
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.4 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.9 / 5.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 209 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 144,736
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 451
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8,597
It is working perfectly and 10 times faster.
I see some errors from the stats, but TBH while surfing or watching some streaming videos everything worked perfectly.
I am extremely satisfied with the improvements, but would be possibile to get some more upload speed?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Asti
I am extremely satisfied with the improvements, but would be possibile to get some more upload speed?

Yes, it's definitely capped. Should be at least double that when uncapped.
Anotherone
Champion

A definite improvement, but as you say the errors could be a bit lower. Keep an ear on the phone line for noise/crackles etc.
As mentioned, the upload needs uncapping.
Asti
Dabbler

Hi all,
After the visit of the engineer, the line is working perfectly and very fast at around 8.5 Mbps in download, but the upload is still capped at 0.35.
Few days ago I received a phone call from someone of the faults team and I confirmed the increase of the download speed and I asked if something can be done done to increase the upload speed. Few minutes after the call the ticket was closed and at the moment the upload speed is still capped at 0.35.
Do I need to open a new ticket just for this request or my request is in queue and will be managed in the next days?
Thank you,
Asti