cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed after line upgrade not increased to what BT Wholesale speed shows

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Download speed after line upgrade not increased to what BT Wholesale speed shows

Oh heck - it looks like the idiots done the wrong thing and requested a SNR reset rather than just adjusting the PN stable rate which takes less than half an hour to take effect.
Looks like the PN staff on here will need to get busy with :mand: when they are in tomorrow. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sugob
Dabbler

Re: Download speed after line upgrade not increased to what BT Wholesale speed shows

Aaarg. And I thought we were largely all done  Cry
Will what is being done result in any loss of service i.e. should I be glad of the few hundred miles distance..?
Will it end up with the original problem still being fixed i.e. get a doubling of stable rate from existing ~7Mb/s
Don't mind waiting another  day or two if it fixes the issue
How do I try to ensure that the brain enabled PN staff [bty, I'm sure that's most of them ;D] investigate/fix - pray?!
M
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It might fix it if it triggers the BT system to send Plusnet a delta report (it won't cause a loss of service - maybe just a brief blip).
Can you post a ticket number from her account as that will ensure a speedy resolution if someone from Plusnet sees this tomorrow.
sugob
Dabbler

Ok, raised a ticket under her account [I included link to this thread] - it wasn't that obvious how to do it [which I assume is deliberate!]
Don't really like tickets, they have just caused me headaches in the past, needing phone call(s) to fix [including once being re-provisioned (when already on PN) to PN]!

We'll see what happens

Thanks yet again
M
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You need to post the number of the ticket on here!
sugob
Dabbler

I am not doing very well then!
Question #54224757
When I checked now, have the following reply
"I can confirm that your Plusnet profile speed is set at 17Mb, as was confirmed would happen after you spoke to one of our agents this afternoon. However you may need to reboot your router just once to see an improvement.

I'll ask my mum to reboot/test - the PN guy yesterday definitely said up to 48hours but 'try tomorrow'
Test is to check what following responds with
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
And maybe a speedtest.net
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Ah, that looks better! Sounds as if everything will be OK now which you can confirm as you suggested.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sugob,
Sorry you seemed to be going round the houses to get a resolution. Is all well with your Mum's speed now?
Jojo Smiley
sugob
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for picking up this thread
Have a bad feeling there still is an issue - WIndows remoted into her pc tonight and it seem her download speed is still in the 7-8Mb/s  [i.e. slightly up from the original 6.9Mb/s] rather than closer to the line speed of 17Mb/s
Do we just have to be patient for ~3 days? The question #54224757 hopefully gives you have PN username

Info from various sources
====================
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Telephone number:
    0122473XXXX
Phone exchange:
    ABERDEEN CULTER
Estimated line speed:
  8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-04-05 13:24:29
Current line speed:
    17 Mb
=========================
http://speedtester.bt.com/
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
7.29 Mbps

0 Kbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 16.91 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
847 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 847Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
================================================
From Thomson router
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 11:33:12
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,107 / 19,167
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 16.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 13 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,231 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,231 / 35
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 19
===============================
Running speedtest.net produced
downspeed 8.82Mbps
upspeed 0.83Mbps
ping 41ms
TIA for any helpful hints
M
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you ran the speed tests while remote connected to her PC I'm not sure it's doing to give a true result.
sugob
Dabbler

Hi again jelv
Yes, I thought of that but there is a big difference between the expected down speed [line speed/IP profile of ~17Mb/s] and actual [7-8Mb/s] - more than I might expect just by me logged in remotely  [using Windows Remote assistance on Windows 7]
Me logged in remotely would presumably mean her PC sending screen updates to me [i.e. using her 'up' bandwidth] whereas she will be receiving key strokes [and mouse movements] from me [i.e. using her 'down' bandwidth] which would seem to me to be less data [and the up bandwith of 0.8Mb/s seem to be ok in tests below]? I tried to do little when the tests were running [and she said nothing else running]
Thanks
M
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sugob,
Is there no way you can maybe talk her through running a test when no other programs are running? I've just ran some intrusive tests where I would expect to see a fault going by the symptoms you have described but they're all coming back ok.
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

I noticed this in an earlier post
I asked her to run speedtest.net [her 1 year old laptop is WiFi but located pretty close to router]

A wireless connection could also reduce the effective speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sugob
Dabbler

Jojo
It was painful before - not helped by her selectingfrom the test reports using mouse, then copy/paste and sending by email to Outlook [at my work] which seemed to simply delete the copy/paste bit [not even put as an attachment at top/bottom of email]. Even when home [largely M$ free except for Windows 7]  it was difficult to read - I tried introducing her to snipping tool [to do a partial screen cut] but it has now been more than 24hours so memories fade... Undecided
My brother lives close-ish so may be a weekend option [if I can put up with his moaning about doing this kind of stuff  ;D]

MisterW
Although Thomson router is only WiFi b/g [her computer is n] , I thought it would still get over 10Mb/s [her neighbours are not that near so WiFi contention should be low] - maybe ask bro to also test [more griping!] by hardwiring her laptop to router inorder to rule that out [and router firmware upgrade as a long shot?]

Thanks for the suggestions
M
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sugob,
I understand how difficult it can be to explain and how frustrating it can be for someone who isn't technologically minded; I've done the same with my own family. The router is coming up to 3 years old but the v7s can be quite sturdy. You definitely need to do the test wired. I'd also suggest getting your brother to install something like inSSIDer, which will enable you to see if the channel your router is using is affected by anything else. If only she lived in Sheffield I'd pop round there myself Wink
Jojo Smiley